Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Jones

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 Jul 2007 22:17

Hi All, I am searching to connections to my mums family of 'Jones' based around Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan from at least the late 1870's and with the strong possibility of having some connecting family still living there. My mum was Dorothy Jones (born 1940, Dowlais) and before she died in Gloucester (where she moved to when she was young with her parents and grandparents) she discussed frequent memories associated to Dowlais so may have moved to Gloucester in her early teens. In Gloucester she married my father (Denis Ware) who had written to her for quite a while whilst doing his national service in the Blues & Royals in the late 1950's in Cyprus and after they wed they moved to Dorset where we were brought into the world and lived our school years before moving back to Gloucester. My mums mum was Elizabeth Jones (born 1918, Dowlais) and she married a Brinley Jones (1939, Dowlais). My nan had a three brothers being Solly (Solomon), Jimmy (James) and David. David moved to the Dursley area of Gloucestershire and I remember visiting him quite a few times during my childhood. Either Jimmy or Solly died in the mines but I can't remember which one but I do remember visiting the surviving brother when I was young in Dowlais prior to my Great Grandad Solomon (Key) Jones moving back to Dowlais with existing family left there to end his years. This action is what makes me feel strongly about the possibility of distant relatives still being there. My Great Grandparents were Solomon (Key) Jones (born c1878, Dowlais) and his wife Elizabeth (Betsy/Bessie) Voss (born 1885, Dowlais). Betsy died in Gloucester but was hurried back to Dowlais to be buried and again this gives indication of the strength of attachment in my family to this area. As you can imagine, trying to find a Jones in Wales is like searching for a needle in a haystack but I am convinced that I still have blood kin in this area. Hopefully someone reading this will connect and lend me a hand? Thanks to all for listening. Dave Ware.