Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find McGonnell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

charlietango

charlietango Report 1 Aug 2007 21:11

I am trying to discover family information about my great grandmother Joanna McGonnell who was born in Kent (Romney Marsh) about 1845. I believe her mother was a Miss Richardson and her father Alexander McGonnell was born in Ireland, For some years he was a coastguard in Hythe,Kent. In 1841, the family was living in West Hythe, Kent and consisted of thee sons, Nicholas, John and Alexander who were born in Ireland, and four daughters, Mary, Margaret, Ellen and the youngest daughter Joanna, my gt grandmother. I believe Joanna's mother died six months after she was born and her father some eighteen months later. The three boys all joined the navy and Alexander later joined the coastguard service like his father. He married a woman from Falmouth. Joanna subsequently married a Frederick Johnson in Barnes Parish Chuch in 1870 and they produced three children, Barbara, George and my grandmother Lottie Mabel Johnson. If anyone has more information or shared ancestry, please get in touch.