Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HALLS LEEDS WEST YORKSHIRE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacky

Jacky Report 25 Aug 2007 08:14

hi there i.m looking for any infomation on the halls family especially alfred halls who married my mums aunty ethel farr who was born abt 1920 i think alfred was born abt 1910 both leeds any info on these 2 or any other halls from leeds would help me out a lot as i.m all googled out and not sure where to go next
many many thanks
jacky

Pete

Pete Report 25 Aug 2007 08:43

Have you checked the YorkshireBMD website.

the marriage of Ethel to Alfred HALLS is listed in 1938.

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1938
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference

FARR Ethel HALLS Alfred St Matthew, Holbeck Leeds CE21/I/204

In the births index there is a birth for Ethel FARR in 1916 (you don't get the quarter on this site).

Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1916
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference

FARR Ethel Holbeck Leeds HOLB/102/315

This entry doesn't show on FreeBMD yet. Coverage on FreeBMD is sparse for this year, but you could trawl the images to find the entry and check mother's maiden name.
Ok, I'm bored and being nice so I've looked it up on the GRO index.

Year 1916
Qtr april - June
Hame FARR Ethel
MMN HOBSON
District Holbeck
VOL 9b
Page 911

The only Alfred HALLS I could find on the Yorks BMD site and FreeBMD is this one:

Surname Given Name District Volume Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1910
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HALLS Alfred Bramley 9b 220

It is a pity that the index doesn't start to show mother's maiden name until sept 1911.

There is a possible FARR and HOBSON marriage but this is back in 1898

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1898
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference

FARR John HOBSON Sarah A St Mary the Virgin, Hunslet Leeds CE23/I/192

Unless you already know thie parents of Ethel FARR you need her birth cert to prove her parents before assuming that this marriage is her parents.

Jacky

Jacky Report 11 Dec 2007 16:08

hi all again

and thanks once again for looking at this post could anyone tell me as i can.t find alfreds parents if i go to the main place in leeds where all electrol are held if i would be able to look up an address i have for them in 1920s to see who lived there in that year

many thanks

jacky

Jacky

Jacky Report 18 Dec 2007 20:28

hi everyone

well i was all excited as i sent for the marrige cert for the above mentioned & it arrived today but i.m still drawning a blank this is what the marrige cert says

alfred halls age 28
ethel farr aged 18
married holbeck church 19th nov 1938 both adresses shown as
49 lowmoor side leeds
father of groom
john william halls
father of bride
arthur farr
witnessed by

lillian halls
&
james william farr

although it gives alfreds dob abt 1908 on his marrige cert i belive he was born 1910
i stiil can.t find anything for alfreds pareants

jeeezze i.m so confused can any one see a way through this mess any help would be greatfully recived

jacky