Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ben

Ben Report 8 Oct 2007 23:02

i need help finding information on my grandad john forsyth born 7/7/1923! he grew up in glasgow and used the name john (jack) mcconnell and raised by his grandmother who he thought was his mother untill he needed his birth certificate to go into the army! then he realised his name was john forsyth! when he died in 1994 his birth certificate stated that he was born in stanley co durham! any help or advice at all would fantastic as i can get nowere!
thanks!

Ben

Ben Report 8 Oct 2007 23:09

he died john forsyth 1994 in grimsby

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 8 Oct 2007 23:17

Hi Ben

There's a birth index entry for a John Forsyth in the Jul-Sep Quarter of 1923, which should, technically be him, as births had to be registered within six weeks.

Forsyth John, mothers maiden name Wilson, registered Lanchester (Durham) volume 10a, page 686.

Lanchester and Stanley are the same registration district.

If you get a copy of the full certificate, it should tell you more.

Diane

Ben

Ben Report 8 Oct 2007 23:20

when i send off for the certificate in the section that says district or reg number should i put lanchester or durham?
p.s. thanks for the look up

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 8 Oct 2007 23:31

Lanchester, I should think, be exact as possible.

Someone with more experience of ordering UK certs might clarify, but I think all the entries 10a are in the same "book" by date ?? and yours will be on page 686.

Di

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 8 Oct 2007 23:53

This is the only Forsyth - Wilson marriage in Lanchester, I have found so far.

Marriages Jun 1919
Forsyth James Wilson Lanchester 10a 860
Wilson Sarah J Forsyth Lanchester 10a 860

Don't know how he got to be McConnell in Glasgow !!

Perhaps if you can find out James and Sarah's ages, we can look for them in the 1901 census, if they were old enough, or their parents.

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 9 Oct 2007 00:45

The mystery deepens - more babies for the Forsyth-Wilson couple

James LW Sep Q 1919 mmn Wilson, Lanchester 10a 565

Audrey Sep Q 1921 mmn Wilson, Lanchester 10a 762

Ben

Ben Report 20 Oct 2007 18:56

i now have his birth cert and it says his mother was sarah jane forsyth late wilson but the father part is left blank? im now at a loose end! ant ideas???

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 22 Oct 2007 05:18

Hi Ben

Well, that's an interesting problem - "late Wilson".
Most of the ones I have seen, say of a married woman "formerly Wilson" meaning this is her maiden name.

I wonder if this means she was married to James Forsyth but the child was not his ? A child born in a marriage is usually deemed to be the husbands - he could have died before the baby was born, i guess.

Does it say how old Sarah was, I could look for her in the 1901 census, if she would be old enough (22 or older).

Di

Ben

Ben Report 22 Oct 2007 14:24

yeah that would be great if you could do that! i suppose she would be old enough if she had her first child in 1919!

Ben

Ben Report 28 Oct 2007 18:53

Did you mannage to look her up?

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 30 Oct 2007 20:17

Hi Ben

Well, in the 1901 census, there are seven Sarah J Wilson's in County Durham born 1890-1900 and even more Sarah Wilsons, none living in Stanley or Lanchester, so its a bit hard to pick her out.

There are also more than 10 James Forsyth also.

I will try to think of something else

Diane