Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 23 Oct 2007 13:48

Trying to find Henry Carter born about 1750 married Rebekah, Children henry,Elizabeth,Mary,William,John,Sarah, Thomas. All born in Hertfordshire, Problem is carnt find Henry 1750 anywhere.Please any information would be great.
Thanks
Lynn

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Dec 2007 21:38

I am not so good at this myself,but thinking about it,you have been able to find out the names of his wife and children,so maybe if you could look up the marriage cef for the wife you may find the spelling for henry maybe different from the norm.I have also come to find out that in some places way back in time that children were some times as old as 12 before they were registered,then it wasn't the same place as they were born,it was as in my case done when the last child was born,the other three were also done which made it hard work but turned out well in the end.Good luck Vanessa

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Dec 2007 22:09

You've probably seen these in the IGI, Lynn:

2. HENRY CARTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 13 MAR 1771 St Andrews, Hertford, Hertford, England
3. HY. CARTER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 30 MAR 1771 St Andrew, Hertford, Hertford, England

Both are the marriage to Rebecca Baker, both are unsubstantiated submitted info, but they might be worth looking into.

This one's from a real parish record, in the same location as that undocumented marriage:

REBECCA [BAKER]
Christening: 04 JUL 1744 Saint Andrews, Hertford, Hertford, England
Father: JOHN BAKER
Mother: ELIZABETH
Batch No.: C072432

So your Henry could be a little older than thought too, if that were his wife. This is the only one that shows up in the IGI that's any match, assuming he was born in Hertfordshire:

HENRY CARTER
Christening: 09 NOV 1740 Aldenham, Hertford, England
Father: THOMAS CARTER
Mother: SUSANNA
Batch No.: P012181

Too long ago for marriage and birth certificates, Vanessa! That only started in 1837 in England. If only all our ancestors had been born after 1837 ... ;)