Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with scottish marriage please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 24 Oct 2007 09:51

hi i had a posting on the tips forum a few days ago and was advised to post on here in case someone was going to the edinburgh records office or for anyone who could give me some advice.
i am looking for the marriage of my deceased brother James O'Neill to a Christine Richards. I think it was about c1977 in the aberdeen area of scotland. that is where they both worked in the oil business. i would like to find out more about christine and add her to our tree. sadly my brother died and we have no contact with his wife. james died while working in south africa
christine had been married once before i believe so i dont know if richards was her married name or her maiden name.
although they married in scotland neither of them came from scotland . james came from leigh lancashire and christine we think it might have been bury lancashire.
i am hoping the marriage cert would shed some light .
if anyone could give me any help i would be much obliged.
i dont have the details of the marriage and wondered if there is a way i could find out and then order a marriage cert. i dont know much about scottish records but i have looked on scotlands people and the records only go up to about 1930
many thanks linda

Carter

Carter Report 24 Oct 2007 18:37

nudge

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 24 Oct 2007 19:17

If you phone 01224 522033 that takes you to the search room in Aberdeen Register Office .
Hope that helps if no one is going to Edinburgh

Kathy

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 24 Oct 2007 21:09

Hi Linda,

Have you contacted GRO Scotland direct? I have always found them helpful. They have an email contact form where you can detail your query. The link is ;

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/contacts/contact-form.html

or Telephone
Switchboard for all our buildings (New Register House, Ladywell House and Monreith House):

0131 334 0380

The switchboard is open:

08:30 to 17:00 Monday to Thursday, and
08:30 to 16:30 on Friday.
The international code for the UK is 44, then drop the first 0 e.g. +44 131 334 0380.

Another thought do you know where your brother worked? Sometimes companies archive employees records, they may still James's. I have been able to source my father's work records from both Scotland and New Zealand.

best of luck
Helen

Carter

Carter Report 25 Oct 2007 10:04

thanks everyone i am going to give all your suggestions a try thanks once again for you advise
linda x