Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sea Disaster

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meryl

Meryl Report 25 Oct 2007 14:05

I have a copy of a news paper report of my great grandads inquest into his death. It was in 1938 and he was aged 76. He was a retired ships greaser and at the inquest my grandad spoke of a sea disaster involving my great grandad James Long from Liverpool. This is what he said, ''Many years ago my father was in an open boat for four days after his ship caught fire. He suffered from frostbite and ever since had cold feet''.
I want to know what ship he was on that caught fire etc. Advise please.

Meryl

Meryl Report 25 Oct 2007 15:05

n

Meryl

Meryl Report 25 Oct 2007 17:17

nudge again for luck.

Libby

Libby Report 25 Oct 2007 22:58

Try www.old-merseytimes.co.uk. Loads of news on Liverpool shipping and disasters plus snippets.

Good site.

Libby

Eileen

Eileen Report 25 Oct 2007 23:49

Lloyds the ship insurers in London might have reports if it was insured with them, I think most ships are. They used to ring a bell called the Luteen Bell when a ship went down that they would have to pay out on. Worth a 'phone call if you can work out roughly the year within a timespan. It also would probably have made local papers at the time, if you know where he lived.
Eileen

Meryl

Meryl Report 26 Oct 2007 10:14

Thanks Libby, great site!

Meryl

Meryl Report 26 Oct 2007 14:07

Still can't find him. How could I get a list of ships he worked on?

Eileen

Eileen Report 26 Oct 2007 18:42

Do you know if he was Merchant Navy, or Royal Navy?
If he was Royal, then there should be a service record somewhere, like there are Army Records.
If he was Merchant Navy, then I think I have seen a posting on one of the boards some time ago about a Merchant Navy List.
Eileen

Meryl

Meryl Report 26 Oct 2007 19:25

Eileen he was not in the Navy. It is like a needle in a hay stack. If only my grandad had mentioned the ships name at the inquest.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 26 Oct 2007 19:43

It may be worth taking a look at some other newspapers of the same date in that area as they may give a more detailed report.- I managed to get the inquest notes for one of my ancestors deaths - he was killed in a lift accident in Westminster and the notes were held at Westminster Abbey - you may be able to track them down if you ask where they would be stored locally - maybe a cathedral but I think this changed - mine was in 1861!

I don't know if you have the death certificate but the one I got for my ancestor gave the name of the coriner and of course the cause of death, it also said where the inquest was held. All those clues may help you piece something together. If you can get a handle on the date you may find the accident was reported in the local (and possibly national) press. Good luck .
Alice

Meryl

Meryl Report 27 Oct 2007 10:36

Thanks for all the advise, wish my grandad had mentioned when or what ship it was at the inquest. I am determined to find out more, like a dog with a bone me!
Anyone else got any advise?

Meryl

Meryl Report 27 Oct 2007 15:10

I have just been talking to a family member who thinks James Long may have been in the Navy during the WW1 and possibly WW2.
What should I do next?

Meryl

Meryl Report 27 Oct 2007 22:35

n