Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 census needed. Webb family Devon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 25 Oct 2007 20:05

I am looking for a family in 1891 and can't find them anywhere. In 1901 they are living in Poltimore, Devon. Can anyone see if they can do better than me?

In 1901 they are :-

Louisa Webb Widow 41
William 14
Margaret 12?
Arthur 10
Dorothy 6
Alice 5

I think the Father was James Webb as I have found a marriage of a
Louisa Webber to James Webb 1881. I know he died fairly young and was a coachman. I assume he came from Devon but really have no idea.

Pete

Pete Report 25 Oct 2007 21:38

Much of the 1891 census of Devon has been transcribed and appears (for free) on FreeCen.

Piece: RG12/1760 Place: Crediton -Devon Enumeration District: 6
Civil Parish: Crediton Ecclesiastical Parish: Crediton
Folio: 92 Page: 3 Schedule: 10
Address: Higher Dunscombe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
WEBB James Head M M 39 Farm Servant(Em'ee) Worcestershire - Hanbury
WEBB Louis Wife M F 31 Devon - Silverton
WEBB William J Son - M 4 Devon - Crediton
WEBB Margaret Dau - F 2 Devon - Ide
WEBB Arthur J Son - M 6m Devon - Ide

Now I have tried and tried to locate this on the 1891 census images on Ancestry but the relevant piece goes from page 2 to page 4. I wonder if the FreeCen site have sourced the information from a different file of images to the set used by Ancestry.

The schedule numbers go from 9, the SQUIRES family onto 16 the BENMORE family. So 10 -15 are all missing on Ancestry and that is where your WEBB family were hiding.

Joanna

Joanna Report 26 Oct 2007 19:23

I am absolutely delighted! Thankyou so much to all of you and especially Pete. I've tried so hard to find them. Thank you so much for your efforts. It's very much appreciated.

JO