Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SCOTLAND/NORWAY RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anita

Anita Report 27 Oct 2007 23:15

can anyone help? i cant find any records for my mam - oline miller grand or grande who was born 30/9/1923 in glasgow, or any of her siblings; brothers -ronnie and douglas, sister- elisabeth, (elisabeth is still alive and lives somewhere in glasgow, ronnie went to us/canada/nz/oz not sure! and dont know if still alive).
i know she married a norwegian- willard berg haagensen-24/11/1943, moved to norway, divorced 14/12/1948, and returned to scotland. she lived in doncaster with her second husband or partner in the 1950s. this is where she met my dad jack butler when she went to work as his housekeeper and look after his son, roy, after the end of her marriage to her second husband (who she referred to as robley).
i also cant find any records of her marriage to my dad, when they lived in hucknall, nottingham, anytime between 1968 and 1977 .
she died 31/12/2005 in hucknall.
her mothers name was jane douglas (scottish).
her father was olaf/olav bernhard grand/grande, grand was his adoptive name, his birth name was wilhelmsen and he was born in orland (outside trondheim) in norway, 18/5/1887. his father was fisker daniel andreas wilhelmsen, 14/4/1845, and his mother was bollette oline omfredsdatter lund bakken, 20/4/1852.
i got the norway information from an old letter from one of her cousins she`d kept from the 80`s. personally, i can`t find one single entry for any member of her family, scottish OR norwegian.
please, please please, if anyone is visiting somewhere that will have this information, i would be eternally grateful if you could have a look and help me find my tree.
many thanks, anita butler

Jane

Jane Report 27 Oct 2007 23:46

Hi Anita

Try the following link, I found my Norwegian ancestors through here and the norwegian census records are free
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/new.htm

Hope it helps
Jane

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 28 Oct 2007 00:45

If you look on Scotlandspeople.gov.uk then you should be able to find a marriage for her parents. The marriage cert will give you both sets of parents names and you should be able to make your way back from there.

A good website for scottish research is

http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com/

They will be able to offer help and guidence, as well as having acess to a multitude of records (though not recent BMD)

Hope thats of some help
Mhairi

Anita

Anita Report 1 Dec 2007 23:34

sorry for the late reply, had 2 ops and a berevement, i`m back on the case now. thanks to you all for all your help, anita

Jane

Jane Report 2 Dec 2007 02:37

Anita
Hope you are OK.
Try the following link for the Norwegians in your family. It is even better than the previous link I gave you.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

Best wishes
Jane

Salve

Salve Report 2 Dec 2007 20:38

Hi Anita,
I PM'ed you last night offering my help. I see Jane has given you the web addr. for Digitalarkivet, you could also try the following addr. It is the same place.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read

I cannot find a Olaf/Olav Bernhard in the Parish Registers for 1886 - 1887. in Orland. -
Have you got any more info as to places.

Astrid

Anita

Anita Report 1 Jan 2008 14:54

hallo jane and astrid, thanks for the norway link, i`m getting loads of info from here, and the best thing is all the records are free to view - not like the uk.
translating norwegian is taking a while but its a great way to learn a new language - albeit slowly!
thanks in particular to astrid for all the hard work you`ve undertaken on my behalf and all the records you`ve unearthed, you`re a gem.
i think i`ll have to plan a short holiday in 2008 to norway to see if i can meet up with any living relatives, pity i didn`t do all this a few years ago, then i could`ve took my mam with me, but you never know whats going to happen in the future do you.
never mind, i`m sure she`ll be there with me when i visit.
happy new year everybody, anita x