Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help with a death cert.?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Muriel

Muriel Report 28 Oct 2007 17:37

I'm trying to find my husband's great-grandfather's death certificate. His name was William Richardson b. circa 1852 in Ullock, near Dean in Cumberland about 1852, father Tiffin Richardson.

By 1881 he was marrried to Jane Borland, born c. 1850, and was living at 23 Hodgson Street, Workington with two children Robert, 2 yrs. and Hannah 1 yr. He was employed on the railways as an engine driver. I know he died in a railway accident and this must have been before the 1891 census, as I can trace his widow and children to 49 McNeil Drive, Govan, Glasgow. In 1891 the children were Robert 12, Hannah 11, Edward 9, Florence 7, Douglas 5 and William 2. John Borland, 23, a nephew also lived with them. By 1901 they had moved to 124 Main Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow. Despite all this info. I can't find his death in Scotlandspeople and have tried several English based sources without any luck. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? I would appreciate any help.

Muriel

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Oct 2007 18:02

There is a William Richardson on the Railways section of the Black Sheep Index (www.blacksheepindex.co.uk) who was a driver and had an accident in 1891 - don't know if he is your man It doesn't give any details of his age. The accident was at Newton Heath which I think is near Mancester.

You could look in the library nearest to where the family lived at the time to see if there was a report of the accident in the local newspaper (back copies should be on microfilm at the library). He must have been alive when the youngest child on the 1891 census was conceived so it's probably sometime between 1888 and 1891.

Kath. x

Muriel

Muriel Report 28 Oct 2007 18:42

Thanks Kath
Will pursue the black sheep line.
Thanks
Muriel&Douglas

Muriel

Muriel Report 28 Oct 2007 18:45

Thanks Anita,
Will give the back numbers of the Manchester Evening News a try. He has been rather ellusive but you can only keep trying. we'll get him in the end.
Douglas&Muriel

Muriel

Muriel Report 28 Oct 2007 18:49

Thanks Anita,
Will give the back numbers of the Manchester Evening News a try. He has been rather ellusive but you can only keep trying. we'll get him in the end.
Douglas&Muriel