Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 30 Oct 2007 09:46

Hi, can anyone out there help me find out the occupation of George Ernest Young. He was born in 1858, Bath Somerset. Married to Elizabeth Magrath 4th September 1883, Westminster, London. Had 3 children that I know of, Ellen born 1888, William born 1889 and George born 1892. A possible year of death for him is 1900. Any help what so ever would be great.
Regards Carolyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2007 09:50

His occupation will be recorded on the censuses...1881 is FREE on Ancestry and on www.familysearch.org

It will also be noted on his marriage cert

Reg

Susan

Susan Report 30 Oct 2007 09:54

Hi Carolyn

George E Young
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Bath, Somerset, England

Civil Parish: Herne
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
Town: Herne Bay
County/Island: Kent

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Blean
Sub-registration district: Herne
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Elizabeth Young 28
Ellen Young 3
George E Young 33
William Young 2

on 1891 census looks like working for coastguard.

Sue

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2007 10:51

Marriage reg'n

>>>>>>Elizabeth McGrath 1883 Jul-Aug-Sep St George Hanover Square London, Middlesex

Maria McGrath 1883 Jul-Aug-Sep St George Hanover Square London, Middlesex

Edward Nagle Welsh 1883 Jul-Aug-Sep St George Hanover Square London, Middlesex

>>>>>>George Young 1883 Jul-Aug-Sep St George Hanover Square London, Middlesex

Volume: 1a Page: 939

Reg

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 30 Oct 2007 11:18

According to the copy of marriage certificate that I have obtained in 1900, they were married at St Peter & St Edward at Palace Street in the Diocese of Westminster so would this be the same records

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2007 11:23

I don't think they would have been married in 1900. The marriage that Reg found looks more likely (going by the ages of the children).

You said he died in 1900.

Kath. x

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 30 Oct 2007 11:40

No they were married on the 4th September 1883 at St Peter & St Edward Palace Street in the Diocese of Westminster. The copy of the certificate that I have in my possesion was obtained 31st October 1900. I was now just wondering if the registration for the marriage is the same as that kept at St George Hanover Square London, Middlesex

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2007 11:44

Sorry - I understand now.

Yes, the copy certificate you obtained will be have the same information as on the original.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Oct 2007 13:01

On the 91 census he's a coastguard living in the coastguard station, Herne Bay, Kent.
The closest one on the 1881 census is a police constable in St. John the Evangelist, London but it says he was born Bristol, Somerset! (A mistake evidently)

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 30 Oct 2007 13:05

Could it be that they are 2 different people but both have the same name?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Oct 2007 14:04

Did you say you have the marriage certificate, Carolyn? If so, doesn't it give his occupation on it? Also his father's name? There are 2 similar ones on the 1871 census. Father's name would clarify which one is him.
Margaret

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 30 Oct 2007 14:14

Yes I have a copy of the marriage certificate but it is not the full one. My gt grandmother obtained it in 1900 after the death of her husband George and it doesn't give all the information. I have tried to get a full copy but the records were destroyed during the war. What are the 2 names on the 1871 census that you have?
Carolyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2007 16:58

Carolyn

Go to freebmd website, and locate the marriage I posted above............

You can then apply through the links on that site for a copy of the FULL cert.............it will cost you £7.00.

St George, Hanover Square is not where the cert is kept........it is simply the CIVIL registration district.

Reg

Jennie

Jennie Report 31 Oct 2007 00:32

Hi Carolyn. Could you possibly tell me what information a short marriage certificate has on it as i am intrigued as never heard of it.
Many thanks