Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My head hurts ! LINDA help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LD

LD Report 31 Oct 2007 08:01

Am trying to find marraige of my great grandparents.
Thomas Evans b 1837, Huntington Herefordshire. In 1861 was working as farm servant in Herefordshire.
Elizabeth Williams b 1838, Almeley Herefordshire. In 1861 was working as domestic in Rugeley Staffs.
Their first child born 1867, so marraige took place somewhere between 61 - 67. Don't know if it would have been in Staffs or Herefordshire. Following the marraige (1871 census) they were living in Eardisley Herefordshire.
Would be grateful for any help.

Joan

Joan Report 31 Oct 2007 08:34

Philip,

When I did a search for Thomas Evans and Elizabeth Williams married between 1861-67, all of these records are for a Thomas Evans and Elizabeth Williams and they weren't in either of the counties mentioned.

Marriages Mar 1863 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVANS Thomas Neath 11a 523
EVANS Thomas Ellesmere 6a 1003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1863 (>99%)

Evans Thomas Liverpool 8b 294

Marriages Jun 1864 (>99%)

Evans Thomas Cardigan 11b 5

Marriages Dec 1867 (>99%)

EVANS Thomas Lambeth 1d 551

LD

LD Report 31 Oct 2007 08:39

Joan, thanks but don't think any of those are him.
Linda that is a possibility, Rugeley is not too far from Wolverhampton, maybe her family had moved there, will check into that.
Thanks both

Pete

Pete Report 31 Oct 2007 08:43

In the 1871 census the family group is:

Anne Evans 2
David Evans 4
Elizh Evans 36
Thos Evans 34
Thos Evans 7

The IGI has baptisms for the children in Eardisley. There is no marriage in that parish in the IGI.

Do you know that Elizabeth was a WILLIAMS from the birth certificate of one of their children?

LD

LD Report 31 Oct 2007 08:45

Pete, yes already had that but thanks anyway.

LD

LD Report 31 Oct 2007 08:47

Linda, the info you gave me has disappeared before I could make a note. I am about to leave for work, would you kindly PM it to me please.
Thanks
Phil

Pete

Pete Report 31 Oct 2007 08:50

So their first child was born c1864 and not 1867 if we assume that they were all mothered by Elizabeth

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Oct 2007 10:07

Philip

Not wise to assume the date of a marriage based on the birth of child(ren)..........

Many marriages took place after the birth(s) of child(ren)

Always be flexible in your approach..........

Reg

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 31 Oct 2007 10:54

Going on the census records for Elizabeth Evans she was born in 1835 not 1838. The only one on the 1861 fitting this is

Elizabeth Lewis
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Relation: Servant
Where born: Almeley, Herefordshire, England

Civil Parish: Winforton
Ecclesiastical parish: Hereford
County/Island: Herefordshire

Registration district: Presteigne
Sub-registration district: Brilley
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 18
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Griffiths 13
Charles Jenkins 26
Elizabeth Lewis 26 dairy maid
James Marston 62
James Marston 25
John Marston 19
Mary Marston 57
Mary Marston 16
William Marston 23
George Martin 40
George Richards 20

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 4227; Folio: 78; Page: 3; GSU roll: 543253.

Then there is this from the IGI (extracted record)

THOMAS EVANS
Father: JAMES EVANS

Spouse: ELIZABETH LEWIS
Marriage: 15 MAY 1863 Willersley, Hereford, England

Are you certain she was called Williams?

Andy