Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sir George Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynette

Lynette Report 31 Oct 2007 08:52

I'm trying to find the names of the brothers and sisters of Sir George Williams founder of the YMCA. I beleive he is my g g Uncle and I need to find out how.
I have hit the BRICK WALL on this
Lyn

I'M REALLY AFTER THE NAMES OF HIS SIBBLINGS PLEASE

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 31 Oct 2007 09:18

Sir George Williams was the youngest of the eight sons of Amos & Elisabeth Williams, of Ashway Farm, Dulverton, in the county of Somerset. He was born on October 11th, 1821.. George Williams represented the massive 19th century shift from the rural to the burgeoning English cities.

Found on google.

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 31 Oct 2007 09:26

"I entered Bridgewater", said Williams, "a careless, thoughtless, godless, swearing young fellow". But the town of Bridgewater where he first learned the draper(clothing-goods) trade had a lasting impact on him. "I first learned in Bridgewater", said Williams, "to love my dear Lord and Saviour for what He had done for me...I was on the downward road...I said, ‘Cannot I escape? Is there no escape?’ They told me in this town of Bridgewater how to escape - Confess your sins, accept Christ, trust in Him, yield your heart to the Saviour." Williams commented: "I cannot describe to you the joy and peace that flowed into my soul when I first saw that the Lord Jesus had died for my sins, and that they were all forgiven."

From that moment on, Williams’ motto became: ‘It is not how little but how much we can do for others’... J.E. Hodder said that "it was impossible to resent his cheerful, unaffected sincerity; his manly directness; his courageous simplicity." Williams not only shared about Jesus Christ, but also fought for improved conditions for labour. The lives of the 150,000 London shop assistants in 1841 were still little removed from that of a slave. They were penned in the unhealthy atmosphere of the shop from six or seven o’clock in the morning until ten or eleven o’clock at night. Everywhere men were looking for a leader.. The success of the early-closing movement owes much not only to the support Williams gave, but also to the example he afterwards set as an employer.

Williams was a keen and brilliant businessman, who understood the art of delegation and ongoing accountability. From his growing and prosperous clothing-good business, he regularly gave away two-thirds of his income, in order to help others. Williams once said: "What is my duty in business? To be righteous. To do right things between man and man. To buy honestly. Not to deceive or falsely represent or colour." He once prayed: "Oh Lord, You have given me money. Give me a heart to do your will with it. May I use it for you and seek to get wisdom from you to use it aright."

In Williams’ room hung a framed card illumined with the words "God First". George Williams had learnt from Dr. Charles Finney that everything worth doing needed to begin with, and end with prayer.

Ethel

Ethel Report 31 Oct 2007 11:04

Hi Lynette. to add to what you have already been sent.
George married Helen Jane Maunder 1853. April/June Qtr. reg in Kensington. vol 1a 147.
They are on the 1891 census. with their son. Alfred T age 25.
5 servants.

Shown as born 1821 and died 1905.
For confirmation of his Father, a copy of the marriage certificate will give you those details. Hope this helps. Ethel.

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 31 Oct 2007 11:07

1851 England Census
about George Williams
Name: George Williams
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822
Relation: Assistant
Where born: Dulwerton, Somerset, England

Civil Parish: St Gregory By St Paul
County/Island: Middlesex

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: London City
Sub-registration district: London City South West
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 35

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 31 Oct 2007 11:11

1841 England Census
about Geo Williams
Name: Geo Williams
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Where born: Somerset, England

Civil Parish: Dulverton
Hundred: Williton and Freemanners
County/Island: Somerset

Street address:

Registration district: Tiverton and Dulverton
Sub-registration district: Dulverton
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jane Hill 30
Robt Peppin 80
Geo Williams 20
Richd Williams 25

Lynette

Lynette Report 6 Nov 2007 08:27

I thank the people who have replied to my request. What I really need is the names of Sir George's sibblings, I know one of them is Richard
thanks
Lyn