Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census info please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 3 Nov 2007 12:41

Hi everyone,
I am looking for any information about John Johns born 26.8.1880. We know he married Annie born 24.3.1881 and that he died in 1915.
thanks very much

Christine

Christine Report 3 Nov 2007 13:06

All I know is that they lived in Wales, probably South or valley's. This is as far back as I have info on in my family history

Glenys

Glenys Report 3 Nov 2007 13:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1899 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johns John Pontypridd 11a 860

Marriages Dec 1900 (>99%)

Johns John William Pembroke 11a 2117

Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)

JOHNS John Newport M 11a 410

Marriages Dec 1902 (>99%)

Johns John Bridgend 11a 1247
Johns John Wesley Falmouth 5c 277

Marriages Dec 1907 (>99%)

JOHNS John Watkin Thanet 2a 2150

Marriages Jun 1908 (>99%)

JOHNS John Henry C Torrington 5b 1086

Marriages Mar 1910 (>99%)

Johns John Arthur Carmarthen 11a 1679

Marriages Sep 1910 (>99%)

Johns John E Swansea 11a 1919

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

Marriages Jun 1913 (>99%)

Johns John C Satterly Portsmouth 2b 892

Marriages Sep 1913 (>99%)

Johns John H Sanders W. Ham 4a 695
Johns John H A Boshier Hampstead 1a 1666

Marriages Dec 1913 (>99%)

Johns John T Osmond Bridgend 11a 1670

Marriages Jun 1924 (85%)

Johns John E George Bedwellty 11a 254

-just copy and pasted these from free BMD, they all had an Annie on the same page as them, so unlless you know her surname I am afraid you won't find her, all my John/s came frpm Pembroke, but there are a number of other welsh districts above
Do you not have a childs name?

Christine

Christine Report 3 Nov 2007 13:32

Many thanks, I have the names of 5 children, John, Ivor, Mary, Olive and Dinah, my grandmother born in 1912

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Nov 2007 13:39

found this on the workhouse

Witham, Essex
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links]

Up to 1834
A parish workhouse was set up in Witham in 1714 near to the parish church. It was built by means of of a loan from Miss Alice Bird of Great Coggeshall. In its early years, the building was also used as a House of Correction (an early form of prison) for vagrants, vagabonds and disorderly person. The cost of running the workhouse soon after it opened was about £230 a year. Its aim of reducing the parish's poor rate was spectacularly unsuccessful — by 1785, the annual running cost had risen to £2,899. An inventory of the premises in 1757 listed the rooms as including a cellar, hall, master's room, kitchen, pantry, brewhouse, workhouse, and five bedchambers.

Witham parish workhouse, 2002.
© Peter Higginbotham.

A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded parish workhouses in operation at Witham (with accommodation for up to 60 inmates), Great Coggeshall (50), Faulkbourn (25), Great Baxted (16), Hatfield Peverel (30), Kelvedon (30), Little Coggeshall (15), Messing (100), Rivenhall (25), Terling (20),

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 3 Nov 2007 13:40

Is this Granny?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Dinah A Johns
Name: Dinah A Johns
Year of Registration: 1912
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name: Hooper
District: Pontypool
County: Gwent, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 327 (click to see others on page)

Christine

Christine Report 3 Nov 2007 13:56

Wow, thank you I am sure it is!

***Lindsay***

***Lindsay*** Report 3 Nov 2007 16:38

Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)
HOOPER Annie Newport M 11a 410
JOHNS John Newport M 11a 410

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Nov 2007 16:47

You should be able to find him on the 1881 census.........FREE on Ancestry and on the LDS site.

Alternatively, purchase his marriage cert to find out the name and occupation of his father, which would help to ensure you followed the correct line

Reg

Christine

Christine Report 3 Nov 2007 17:25

Many thanks All, can't find them on LDS site, but am new to this. Grateful for all help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Nov 2007 20:50

What is the basis for your info about the birth date?

I'm not sure how you can have the exact date, if you haven't got the birth cert.............

Reg

Christine

Christine Report 3 Nov 2007 20:57

Hi Reggie,
The info that I have is from a family bible.