Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kirk Sessions Edinburgh

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 4 Nov 2007 17:33

I am trying to trace the parents of my ancestor Andrew Mitchell born c1801 in King Edward Aberdeen. Andrew lived in Rothiemay Banffshire and died in 1864.
I have his parents names from his death certificate and these are Martha Panton and '-Mitchell' I have Martha in the 1841 and 1851 census and her place of birth is given as King Edward Aberdeen.
I can't find any record of Andrew's birth or of a marriage for Martha Panton and Mitchell.
It would seem likely that Andrew was illegitimate and I have been told that I might be able to find records in the Kirk Sessions in Edinburgh.
Is there any one out there who might be able to make the search for me?
Mike

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 4 Nov 2007 18:32

Hi Michael,

I have searched for the death of Andrew Mitchell in 1864 on Scotlands People and the death is there, this may give you the parents names. Have you found the death in Banff on Scotlands People??

Betty

Michael

Michael Report 4 Nov 2007 19:20

I have found Andrew's death record on Scotland's people - which is where I got his parent's information

I will try looking for help with the search on there

thanks Mike

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 4 Nov 2007 19:31

Hi Mike,

As you will already know there is no birth on SP. What info does it give on SP about the parents names, the father I mean on the death certificate?? Doesn't it give the fathers christian name?

Betty

Michael

Michael Report 4 Nov 2007 20:08

It gives the mothers name as Martha Panton (deceased) - she is listed on the 1841 census as a 'visitor' with Andrew and his family
His father is just listed as - Mitchell

I have searched everywhere for his birth or baptism but with little luck

Mike

Michael

Michael Report 4 Nov 2007 20:10

I can't find any one offering look ups on Scotlands People or on TalkingScot!

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Mike

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 4 Nov 2007 20:15

Hi Michael,

I think someone ment that Mhairi maybe could have checked the birth in Edinburgh, not sure though.

The birth isn't on Scotlands People anyway but maybe if there was some record of his birth then it would be in Edinburgh. As far as I know they didn't have to register the birth anyway at that time.

I searched Scotlands People but nothing just the death.

Betty