Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am keeping my fingers (and legs!!) crossed that

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Nov 2007 08:44

someone can help me. I am stuck. I am researching the Fehr family and need assistance. I have a Thomas Bartholomew Fehr b. abt. 1786 d. 1846 Dudley and wife Hannah ?? b. abt 1786 d. 1850 Dudley. I have searched igi, freebmd and these boards and cannot locate the birth of Thomas Bartholomew or his marriage to Hannah whose surname I do not know. I am wondering if their marriage took place in Dudley or possibly the Birmingham area. I only have one child up to now of the marriage and that is Thomas James Fehr b. abt 1811-14. I have been able to get Thomas James family via the census returns. I am hoping against hope that someone will be able to help me with
(a) Thomas Bartholomews birth and marriage
(b) possibly Hannah's surname
(c) any other children they may have had.

I have Thomas Bartholomew and Hannah on the 1841 census but unfortunately by then their offspring had left home so I can't trace them that way, and by the 1851 census (which gives more information) both Thomas Bartholomew and Hannah had died.

Just hoping against hope that someone can help or miraculously have the Dudley area parish records or even the British Vital Records Index.!!. Thank you all very much

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Nov 2007 08:57

No Anita - I didn't know about that. I'll give it a go. Thanks

Hi Anita - tried that and could find nothing.

Penny

Penny Report 5 Nov 2007 09:58

This chap must be worth hanging onto - from the IGI - surely?

BENJAMIN FEHR Pedigree

Marriages:
Spouse: CATHARINE FOXALL Family
Marriage: 05 SEP 1826 Tipton, Stafford, England

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Nov 2007 10:07

Yes Minnie - it is worth making a note of him just in case he fits in somewhere. Thank you.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 5 Nov 2007 11:15

Hi Margaret
I have checked the BVRI records and there are no births or marriages for Fehr on them

Bren

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Nov 2007 11:18

Bren - thank you very much. This is most frustrating isn't it when folk you know existed, married and produced offspring seem to disappear into thin air when you are looking for them. Thank you for trying anyway.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Nov 2007 11:29

I have found this, could there be a connection

THOMAS JAMES FEHR Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH ELIZABETH DUDLEY Family
Marriage: 16 SEP 1834 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Nov 2007 11:36

have you seen this

http://books.google.com/books?id=0UYwAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA442&lpg=PA442&dq=%22thomas+bartholomew+fehr%22&source=web&ots=cVoDrhSSh7&sig=mSBU_Zv9AuMV5Nytkm22aKipq88

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Nov 2007 12:07

Siobhan - thank you - yes that is the right Thomas James Fehr, son of Thomas Bartholomew. And no, I hadn't seen the other link and am just going to have a look now. Many thanks.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Nov 2007 13:46

Hi Margaret,

Just looked at the 1841 census for your Thos and Hannah, for where it says were they born in county, there is a N for both Thomas and Hannah, which means they were not born in the County, so you may need to look elsewhere for baptism.

Fehr is a strange name, I wonder if they might of been from further a field. i.e. another country.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Nov 2007 13:48

from googling, it looks like Fehr, was a german name.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Nov 2007 13:53

have you got Thomas and Hannah's death certificates, it may give some information of those i.e. the informants might of been other children you do not have.

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Nov 2007 13:58

Siobhan - I am led to believe - with no proof of course - that the family did oringinate from somewhere in Europe, Germany, Switzerland etc. but have no information as to when they arrived in this country. It could well be that Hannah and Thomas were the ones who came across. And no, as of yet I have not got their death certs. Fortunately the line I am following is down from Thomas Bartholomew, Thomas James and then Thomas Jabez. Ironically, the line I am following shows that Thomas Jabez emigrtated to New Zealand, met another English immigrant there, married, had children and then they all trouped off to Melbourne Australia. Quite a journey in fact. Thank you for your help. I will now try and explore the possibility that Thomas and Hannah were the original immigrants from Europe.