Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 6 Nov 2007 10:26

Trying to find any info about my gg grandfather, John PAYNE.

His parents William Payne and Rebecca Whitfield were married on 12 Aug 1846 in Lemanaghan, Co Offaly. I think John was born in Tullamore about 1852. He came to Australia about 1878. I would also like to know if he had any siblings.

John had a drapery store in Bathurst, NSW so I'm thinking his parents may have been involved in drapery also. John married Kate Atkin from Tullamore on 11 Aug 1884 in Sydney, Australia. I have been unable to locate them on any of the shipping lists but Kate's death certificate has her coming to Australia about 1883, some five years after John.

I have no other details for William or Rebecca. I'm pretty new to family research and am having very little success with all my Irish connections.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything similar to Genes Reunited for Ireland that you could recommend?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me.

Kind regards

Carol Whittaker