Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still Looking

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 7 Nov 2007 01:07

Still looking for Caroline Mary Heasley.

Please see below.

My grandfather's birth cert gives his mother as Caroline Mary Sherriff, formerly Heasley I have not been able to trace this lady anywhere else. Born in 1878,his name is George Richard Sherriff, father was George Sherriff. I have George, a hawker, on the 1851 living alone in Westminster. In 1861 he had a wife Caroline I have found their marriage and she was Caroline Watts. I cannot find either on the 1871, On the 1881 Georges wife was Mary. Their marriage was early 1878, and they were both widowed. Mary was late Elliott, formerly Edgeley born in Greenwhich.

George's (snr) occupation was a Hawker, General Hawker, Fish Hawker, General Dealer on various certs and census, and lived in St Clement Danes and Liberty of the Rolls areas of Westminster.

Can anyone find Caroline Mary please? Did she exist? As George was married to Mary Ann at the time my grandfather was born, was he a bigamist?
3 other children were born to Mary Ann and George.

Thanks

David

PS I cannot find a death for the first wife Caroline (Watts) neither have I traced any children. George was born 1810-1825,

Joan

Joan Report 7 Nov 2007 01:49

David,

Could George have been married to two Caroline's at the same time or was Caroline Heasley Sherriff not married to George but gave her son the father's name.

Here are the death records I found for Caroline Sherriff:

Deaths Dec 1876 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHERRIFF Caroline 61 West Bromwich 6b 419
Sherriff Caroline 64 W. Bromwich 6b 419

Deaths Jun 1878 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHERRIFF Caroline Cordell 75 Pancras 1b 119

Joan

Joan Report 7 Nov 2007 01:50

David,

Nothing is coming up (marriage and/or death) for Heasley.

Joan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Nov 2007 01:54

Where was George Richard born?

1881 ??
Name: George Sheriff
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Relation: Son
Mother's Name: Caroline
Where born: Kingsbridge, Devon, England

Civil Parish: Dodbrooke
County/Island: Devon

Street address: Ebrington Street

Registration district: Kingsbridge
Sub-registration district: Kingsbridge
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age

Caroline Sheriff 30 Stokenham
George Sheriff 3

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Nov 2007 02:14

I don't see any births for George Richard in 1878. There's one for 1874. Did you mean to type that?

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
George SHERIFF Head M Male 62 St Clements, Middlesex, England Hawker
Mary SHERIFF Wife M Female 40 Greenwich, Kent, England
James E. SHERIFF Son Male 10 Lambeth, Surrey, England Scholar
George SHERIFF Son Male 6 Southwark, Surrey, England Scholar
Albert SHERIFF Son Male 4 Southwark, Surrey, England
Alfred SHERIFF Son Male 1 Southwark, Surrey, England

Source Information:
Dwelling 221 Tabard St
Census Place Southwark St George Martyr, Surrey, England
Family History Library Film 1341117
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0522 / 76
Page Number 2

Rose

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Nov 2007 02:25

Marriages Mar 1874 (>99%)
DAVIES John Bethnal Green 1c 343
Elliott Mary Ann Bethnal Green 1c 343
Pollard Maria Bethnal Green 1c 343
Sherriff George Bethnal Green 1c 343

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Nov 2007 04:10

Did you see this one??

Foleshill is in Warwickshire, Caroline was born in Warwickshire according to the 1861 census.

She is about the right age

Deaths Jun 1871 (>99%)

Sheriff Caroline 41 Foleshill 6d 258

sylvia

David

David Report 7 Nov 2007 16:00

George Richard was born 1st November 1874. 38 Castle Street, St Saiour, Surrey (Southwark). orry that I mistyped 1878. George married Mary Ann Elliott on Jan 7 1874.

Portland Rose,

George SHERIFF Head M Male 62 St Clements, Middlesex, England Hawker
Mary SHERIFF Wife M Female 40 Greenwich, Kent, England
James E. SHERIFF Son Male 10 Lambeth, Surrey, England Scholar
George SHERIFF Son Male 6 Southwark, Surrey, England Scholar
Albert SHERIFF Son Male 4 Southwark, Surrey, England
Alfred SHERIFF Son Male 1 Southwark, Surrey, England

This is indeed, the family, but the James E Sherriff is John James Elliott, Mary Ann's son by her previous marriage. The same appears on the 1891 as John Sherriff as stepson. George and Mary Ann had 3 other sons: (there wer 2 John's in the family on the 1891 census.
15 Apr 1871 Albert, Fathers's occ, Hawker of fish 8 Castle St Southwark
12 Oct 1879, Alfred, 221 Tabard St, father''s oc General Labourer
17 Dec 1882, John William, father's occ General dealer, 195 Tabard St.

Glitter Baby, that is George's 2nd Marriage in Bethnal Green.

Although George and Caroline appeared as married on the 1861, they did not marry until May 27 1861 in St Thomas Church, Liberty of the Rolls, both living at 3 Birch's Place, the same address as in the 1861.

Sylvia (in Canada) I wonder if that could be the first wife, but all the other records show London addresses for the family.

I wonder if Caroline Mary Heasley did not exist, and that George combined both wives names when he registered his son? But if so, where did the name Heasley come from?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Nov 2007 17:16

Davo,

It looks as though Mary must be George's mother. I mistake registering the mother's name has been made somewhere. Perhaps a baptism would confirm this?

Rose

David

David Report 10 Nov 2007 00:09

There is an interesting story about the family of my gf's step brother James J Elliott.(Well I think so anyway.) He seems to have married and his wife and he both seem to have died young. On the 1901 census their daughter, Ada, appeared as my grandfather's adopted daughter. They went on to have 14 children of their own, ten of whom survived infanthood. Their flat in Bermondsey had 2 rooms according to the 1901 census.

I never heard from my father that he had an adopted sister. I recently asked one of my cousins who I had not seen for many years if she knew about this Ada. She replied that she had an Aunt Ada who was a hairdresser who lived in Buckingham Palace Road and sometimes cut hair at the palace. Aunt Ada used to take her out sometimes. But she knew nothing more of her.

Ada's middle initials were M A, presumably Mary Ann, after her grandmother.

More recently still, I asked another cousin if she knew anything about this Ada. She said she was indeed a hairdresser who sometimes worked at the palace. (Nearest I have come to Royalty) and Ada did her mum's hair for her wedding present. I asked if Ada had married and had descendants, but she replied that Ada had not married, but was a "kept woman."