Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BLANDON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tabbicat

Tabbicat Report 7 Nov 2007 12:36

I have hit a great big brick wall concerning my maternal grandmother. On the wedding certificate to my grandfather she is listed as Ada Dorice Widow, I can find nothing - I have no dates but patiently went through the Marriages list to the dates that I thought would be applicable.

Her father on the same certificate is James William Blandon, again no dates, no records.

He was allegedly kicked in the head by a horse and died, working as Head Groom for Lord & Land Blandford. Ihave contacted Blenheim Palace - but he could have worked on any of their properties and usuallly names were not given, only working titles.

On the wedding certificate he was cited as a "commercial travellor".

My grandmother allegedly was sent to a convent by the Blandfords, her mother (name unknown) being a seamstress for them. It seems rather strange that the Blandford would go to such trouble! My Grandmother had a cut glass accent which, certainly does not apply to me or Mum.

I contacted the local convent (Dorset) - Sisters of Bethany - as my Mum seems to think that she went there - unfortunately again, they had no records of her.

There is no record of her birth, wedding to Dorice or anything. She meant a lot to me - can anyone help?

Lynda

Penny

Penny Report 7 Nov 2007 12:45

Do you mean her staus was widow - ie been married before, or was that her surname? - i'm a bit confused.

Can you also please give us an idea of dates, even approx will help

Tabbicat

Tabbicat Report 7 Nov 2007 14:45

Sorry Minnie - on my grandmother's wedding certificate she was down as Ada Dorice, Widow. Her maiden name is Ada Blandon (Ada Millicent - to give her all her names).

I have looked everywhere Minnie. She married my Grandfather Owen Sparham in Feb 1928 (29th Feb - leap year), The marriage took place in Southend on Sea, District Rochford

Hope this helps.

I have trawled through it all - and there is nothing.

Lynda

lulabelle

lulabelle Report 7 Nov 2007 15:38

Hi Lynda,

Do you have a rough year of birth for Ada?

Lou