Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Philemon or Thomas Ellam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 7 Nov 2007 19:44

I have a Philemon Ellam in my tree (1814-93) possibly born in Stainland, nr Halifax, married Elizabeth (Betty) Brook in Elland in 1839. I think his father's name was Thomas and he was a waterman but this may be wrong. Any more information would be gratefully received.
There was another Philemon Ellam who was born and died in Huddersfield in 1846 who I presume was a relative as it is such an unusual name but I don't know any more details about him.

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2007 19:56

Where did you find the marriage date? You could buy the marriage certificate to verify the fathers name and occupation.

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2007 19:59

This is the only 1839 Phelemon marrying: but no Betty Brook amongst the possible brides. Are you sure she wasnt a second wife?

Marriages Sep 1839 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BULMER Thomas Halifax 22 162
CROWTHER Hannah Halifax 22 162
Ellam Phelemon Halifax 22 162
Ellis Daniel Halifax 22 162
KERSHAW Joseph Halifax 22 162
Riley Hannah Halifax 22 162
WILD Sarah Halifax 22 162

Annmarie

Annmarie Report 7 Nov 2007 20:01

Hi Susan,
I found the following info,

1881 census;

Dwelling; Southgate
Census place; Elland cum Greetland, York, England
Family history library film; 1342054
Public record office reference; RG11
Piece / folio; 4409/107
Page number; 26

HANNAH BROOK, head, unmarried, female, 80, b. Elland, York. Shop keeper.
PHILEMON ELLAM, bro in law, married, male, 73, b. Elland, York. Green Grocer.
ELIZABETH ELLAM sis in law, married, female, 75, b. Elland, York. Green grocer.
THOMAS ELLAM, nephew, unmarried, male, 39, b. Elland, york. Woolen spinner.

Hope this is of some use to you
Kind regards,
Annmarie

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2007 20:14

I think that may be you have assumed Betty is a "Brook" due to Hannah Brook in the same household but she may not be Betty's rellie?

1841 (Hannah is shown as "relative"

Name: Philemon Ellam
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
Where born: Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Halifax
Hundred: Morley
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Registration district: Halifax
Sub-registration district: Elland
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Hannah Brock 35
James Brock 8
Ruth Brock 10
Benjamin Ellam 1
Betty Ellam 36
Philemon Ellam 25

As the only Phelemon Ellam's marriage does not include a Brook or Brock female nor an Elizabeth - its a bit of a puzzle! :) Can only think that one of those girls uses a different name every day. The only way you will find out is to buy the birth certificate of the son Benjamin.

I have put the 1839 marriage above but as other posters have added you may not have seen it:

Marriages Sep 1839 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BULMER Thomas Halifax 22 162
CROWTHER Hannah Halifax 22 162
Ellam Phelemon Halifax 22 162
Ellis Daniel Halifax 22 162
KERSHAW Joseph Halifax 22 162
Riley Hannah Halifax 22 162
WILD Sarah Halifax 22 162

Actually, forget the birth cert for the son, buy this marriage cert - just give Phelemon's name on the application - you only need one person of the couple to buy the certificate - then you will get the brides name anyway PLUS both their fathers and their occupations which hopefully will give you a further generation back.

Do you know how to buy a certificate for £7 using the above GRO ref?

Susan

Susan Report 8 Nov 2007 19:23

Thanks for all the information everyone, that's really kind. I have a copy of the marriage certificate but unfortunately it is pretty much illegible - I'm just guessing that Philemon's father's name is Thomas and I can't read the Christian name of Betty's father at all. I think he died quite young as her mother appears to have married again when Betty was a child and had more children. From the digging around I've done, by the way, I'm pretty sure Betty and Hannah were sisters, and Ruth and James Brook were actually Betty's children from before she was married. I never knew my relations were so scandalous!
Best wishes
Susan