Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do I just give up??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 8 Nov 2007 10:27

Just need some advice really.
I have been looking for Annie Jones born abt 1883 (from marriage cert) born in Wales for ages. Her dad was noted as Charles a farmer who was deceased when she married on the 4th July 1904. Witnesses to the marriage were F Collard & A Avent. Annie was noted as living at 75 Beaumont Street, Stapleton, Bristol & her hubby Thomas Upton at number 73 at time of marrige. I have found from an elderley relative that Annie was born in South Wales and brought to Bristol by Thomas when he was working in the pits. He put Annie to service in a pub called the Castle in Bristol looking after children. Annie had a sister Lil who married a ? Adams and lived in Weston Super Mare. Lil and Mr Adams had a daughter called Netta.

Where on earth can I look for her birth. There are hundreds of Annie Jones in Wales in 1891 & 1901. Or do I just need to wait until the 1911 census is out to see if her mum decided to go and live with them.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Marcelle

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 8 Nov 2007 10:49

Thanks Rob, I checked 1901 and Thomas is at home in Bristol with his mum and brothers & sisters at St James Street
Thanks for the suggestion
Marcelle

alviegal

alviegal Report 8 Nov 2007 11:00

Is the mother's name not on the marriage certificate? Have you any idea where in South Wales she came from?
You've definately got a hard one here!

Liz

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2007 11:03

Mums names arent given on marriage certs except for Scotland Liz :( I wish they were. BUT who were the witnesses? Have you traced any connection with them?

Im a bit confused by the elderly rellies story (never trust elderly rellies stories 100%! LOL). When you say he "put her to service" seems a strange turn of phrase for the situation.

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 8 Nov 2007 11:05

No mums not on there Liz. Its an absolute nightmare!
I thought I would try and find Netta then her mum Lil Adams and work that way but i cant even find Netta.
All I know is she came from South Wales but me and my geography don't get on lol

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2007 11:06

Would netta just be annette or something?

What was Thomas' job on the marriage cert? Again, bit confused by elderly rellies story - do they mean he was working in Wales in coal mining and met her there and then they went to Bristol together?

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 8 Nov 2007 11:19

He lived in Bristol and went to Wales to work in the pits. On cert Thomas was a looks like labourer for sanitary authority.
the name was definatley Netta as another rellie followed suite and called her daughter Netta
Oh Oh some one at front door
Be right back

alviegal

alviegal Report 8 Nov 2007 11:20

These are births on freebmd for Nettas. Axbridge is the closest to Weston super mare but it is a long shot.

Births Jun 1886 (>99%)
ADAMS Netta Marylebone 1a * Scan available - click to view
Births Dec 1890 (>99%)
Adams Netta Dorothy Colchester 4a 509 Scan available - click to view
Births Mar 1894 (>99%)
Adams Netta Newton A. 5b 106 Scan available - click to view
Births Sep 1909 (>99%)
Adams Netta Axbridge 5c 415 Scan available - click to view
Births Jun 1910 (>99%)
ADAMS Netta Woodstock 3a 1131 Scan available - click to view

Only marriage showing for Lil Jones to an Adams. Perhaps Lil was short for Elizabeth not lilian?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1901 (>99%)
ADAMS Arthur James Maldon 4a 1139 Scan available - click to view
CORNELL Walter Maldon 4a 1139 Scan available - click to view
JONES Lilian Kate A Maldon 4a 1139 Scan available - click to view
REDGWELL Minnie Rosena Maldon 4a 1139 Scan available - click to view

Maldon's in essex I think

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 8 Nov 2007 11:34

I think the entry for Axbridge is possibly the right one Sept 1909 . If you click on Axbridge it mentions Weston. That would be where the birth was registered not where they were born.

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 8 Nov 2007 11:57

Thankyou
So now I need to try and find out off my aunt what Lil's husband name was?
She would just happen to be in Australia for month on holiday. How inconsiderate!
If I can get Lils marriage cert, I could work out her DOB and then try and find her in the census and hopefully Annie.
Oh why did my family not do a family bible....
Still having fun & tears researching them...
Once again
Thankyou

Susan

Susan Report 9 Nov 2007 16:34

You are also presuming for sure that she was born in Wales.

Most of my Welsh family were actually born in Somerset. My gt-gt aunt was always known as Annie but her birth is registered as Anne, and my gran was christened Annie (after her aunt) but always known as Nancy.

Sorry to throw spanners!

Su