Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can anyone help find jacob mills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 8 Nov 2007 20:19

hi I'm looking my great grandad he was born in 1884 in the whitby area. I have found him in the 1891 and 1901census. He had a son, eric, in 1917. but some time we think between1922 and 1925 he placed my grandad in an orphanage in yorkshire. Telling my grandad that he would return for him.he said he was off to Australia to seek their fortune. needless to say my grandad never saw him again. does this ring any bells with anyone, or could anyone tell me where to look. he was a merchant seaman so passanger lists were no help. thanks

Pete

Pete Report 8 Nov 2007 20:32

Did he travel off on his own or did he take a wife with him?

Could he have died at sea? GRO marine deaths index is available on Findmypast and Familyrelatives websites.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Nov 2007 20:43

Hvae you found Erics birth
these are the ones that come up for Yorkshire in 1917

Births Mar 1917 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mills Eric G Mills Hartismere 4a 1576

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1917 (>99%)

Mills Eric McCartan Wigan 8c 9[68]
Mills Eric Holt Rochdale 8e 40
Mills Eric Hall Barnsley 9c 349
Mills Eric V Mills Rochdale 8e 97

Births Sep 1917 (>99%)

Mills Eric F Mills Kingston 2a 675

Births Dec 1917 (>99%)

Mills Eric Ballantyne Tynemouth 10b 392

Julia

Julia Report 8 Nov 2007 20:58

thankyou both for your help, eric was born in tynemouth and we know his mother's name was ballentyne though we're not 100% about her first name. we think she died in childbirth another child. we think jacob travelled alone,I will certainly try the web sites sugested thankyou both. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2007 21:27

Have you got your grandfather's birth certificate??

That will tell you his mother's full name.

- - -

This is the only marriage that seems to show up on freebmd for Jacob Mills ............ but it's to a Murray???

Marriages Mar 1916 (92%)

Mills Jacob Murray Tynemouth 10b 572

It doesn't show xxx Murray on freebmd, so I checked the Complete Index on ancestry

Mary A Murray married Mills Tynemouth Mar qt 1916 10b 573

and here it is from freebmd!! Not showing husband!! Not surprising as the page numbers are different.

Marriages Mar 1916 (92%)

Murray Mary A Mills Tynemouth 10b 573

Now could Mary Murray have been married before?

Eric's birth certificate should tell you that

sylvia