Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with a Mystery Man

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 9 Nov 2007 09:34

Can anyone offer any good ideas on a mystery please?

John Noble died in 1961 aged 75, so he was born c1886.

He had a son in 1918 and his 'wife' gave her name as Winifred Sophia Noble formerly Starke - but she had married someone else in 1906, so her name was technically 'formerly Streeton.

I have no idea where John was born and can't trace a marriage anywhere of John and Winifred Starke or Winifred Streeton - likewise no trace of a death of husband number one.

I suspect that John and Winifred were not married.

Any ideas how I can find out anything at all about John?

Any ideas gratefully received!!!

Chris

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2007 09:43

Maybe husband no one died in WW1 have you looked on the CWCG site for him. also I'm assuming you are talking about the info on the birth cert of 1918,so she is stating her maiden name on there ,she didn't have to state her former married name .Birth registration states mothers maiden regardless of how many times she has been married ,ALTHO I have a birth cert where both the former married name & the maiden name are quoted, depends how the info was asked for and how the particular registrar liked to record info.

Shirley

Chris

Chris Report 9 Nov 2007 09:46

Thank you for those suggestion. I know where John died and have seen his house. Winifred died many years earlier - but, of course, the information on her death certificate is only what John gave!

I just wish there was some way of knowing where in the country he came from originally - he was in RN but joined as an officer, so I can't get any information unless I have something to positively identify which 'John Noble' he was!

Thanks Shirley - I hadn't realised that about the maiden name.

Chris

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Nov 2007 13:13

Have you tried the electoral roll for the period when he lived at that address?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Nov 2007 13:27

Free BMD has the marriage of Winnifred Sophia Starke and Robert Sydney Streeton, June Q 1906, Luton.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Nov 2007 13:34

Winnifred in 1901?
7 George St., Luton, Bedfordshire
William Starke, head, 46, draper, born London, Kingsland
Ellen, wife, 42, born Norfolk, Attleborough
Winnifred, dau, 15, draper's assistant, born Hants., Portsmouth
Clifford, son, 13, born Cambs., Cambridge
Ruth Upston, mother-in-law, widow, 69, born Suffolk, Bury St. Edmund

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Nov 2007 13:39

In 1901 first hubby, Robert S. Streeton, age 17 is with his family at 69 Bury Pl? Rd., Luton, Bedfordshire. He's a straw hat blocker.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Nov 2007 13:51

No, can't find death of Robert Streeton nor marriage of Winnifred to John Noble.
Like you, can't decide which John Noble he might be on the 1901 census.
Margaret

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 9 Nov 2007 16:21

Not sure about this

Deaths Mar 1913 (99%)
STRETTON Robert 36 Basford 7b 261

I think age is roughly right,

Can't find the birth of the son in 1918, can you give the name. Were there any other children?

Only marriage with a Winifred is as follows:

Marriages Jun 1918

Lowe Winifred R M Noble W.Ham 4a 153
Noble John E T Lowe W.Ham 4a 153

Chris

Chris Report 9 Nov 2007 18:44

Thank you all so much for your time and trouble - I do appreciate it!

Yes - that is the Winifred who married Robert Streeter in Luton - but I can't find his death.

John Noble's son - and only child - was called Stanley - I have his BC - born 1918.

The death could be right if it's a mistranscription of Streeton - any idea where Basford is?

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Nov 2007 19:22

Basford covers parts of Nottinghamshire and parts of Derbyshire.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Nov 2007 19:27

You could look at the Navy List to get some info on his career - this might lead you to being able to find his service records. Hope there weren't too many John Noble Navy Officers!