Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

parents of my grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichol

Nichol Report 9 Nov 2007 10:44

Hi everyone i was wondering if someone can help me. My grandfather John Patrick O'Roarke married my grandmother Edna B Sleney in 1956 in Sheffield. I am searching for my grandfathers parents names as my father does not know anything about him as he was 11yrs old when his father died, I would like any info small or otherwise as i know my father has relatives in Ireland who he does not even know.
Any info is much appreciated.
Nichol

Sam

Sam Report 9 Nov 2007 10:51

You need to get your grandfathers birth certificate in order to find out his parents names. If you don't know when he was born, start by getting his marriage certificate which will tell you his age and his fathers name.

Sam x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Nov 2007 11:11

This is the reference for the marriage certificate:-

Edna B. Sleney, spouse O'Roarke
March qtr. 1956, Sheffield, 2d, 547

You can order this online from the GRO for £7 from this address:-

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

The online form will ask you "Is the Full GRO Reference Known?". Make sure you tick the "yes" box otherwise they will charge you more.

This certificate wil give you an idea of the groom's age and also his father's name.

Kath. x

Nichol

Nichol Report 10 Nov 2007 08:31

Thank you sam and kath, i will get onto that straight away. Will the records office email certificates as i am living in tunisia at min and dnt know when i will get back to england, so all my searching is from here.
regards nichol

Diane

Diane Report 10 Nov 2007 10:27

Nichol,

No I don't think they will email, but they will post to overseas addresses.

Nichol

Nichol Report 10 Nov 2007 10:51

Thank you Diane,
My parents are currently living in my house in england so jus decided to get it posted there, i dont trust the tunisian snail mail system at all, it jus means that i wont have the original certs here with me, but my mother will pass on all info required.
thanks again