Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question really

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

xx Chelle xx

xx Chelle xx Report 10 Nov 2007 15:04

Does anybody know of how far back you can research family history, through family sites?

Thankyou x

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 Nov 2007 15:27

Hi
I would be interested to know how to get further back ie 18th century and beyond too!!

Can't believe you can make Adam and Eve's time though!!

Elizabeth

Heather

Heather Report 10 Nov 2007 15:33

If you are talking just using the internet then you will be limited by what has been transcribed. If you are using records offices then certainly the domesday book and even further back is POSSIBLE. You need to find a gateway ancestor - an aristocrat to get back easily that far (and honestly, many of us have aristocrats, it was a small country and very small population once!).

Otherwise its possible through parish records to get back to about the late 16th century if you are fortunate. You could use manorial records and settlement certs,apprenticeships, wills, orders, court refs etc. to expand on your findings. But Im afraid it does mean getting your bottom up from behind the computer screen in most cases. And of course Chelle, you need to verify the line on the way back by purchasing certificates and other documents otherwise it will be airy fairy and without any substance at all.

xx Chelle xx

xx Chelle xx Report 10 Nov 2007 16:10

Hmm thanks guys, so far on my dads side im back as far as early 15th century but just wondered how far back you could go via the net as i would need to travel back to where i came from to view parish records.

Thankyou for replying to my question though xx