Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cannot find my Grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 12 Nov 2007 15:20

I wonder if anyone can help - I have been trying to trace details about my Grandfather for a long time - I have a little information on him, but don't seem to be able to get anywhere.
He was born I think on 18th September 1890, and had brothers William and Anthony and a sister Nancy. He married Jessie Cowan in Scarborough after the war I think ( I have lots of info on Jessie). He died just before I was born around 1958/59 ish.
I know he served in the 2nd Leicesters and went out to the dardanelles - his service number on his medals is 9467.

I believe he came from London prior to moving to York, but I cannot find any trace. I would be immensely grateful if someone could help me - I have spent hours and pounds downloading census documents to no avail.

Kind Regards

Tony Wright

David

David Report 12 Nov 2007 15:27

Tony

His name may help.

Anthony

Anthony Report 12 Nov 2007 15:37

Sorry everyone, the one piece of info which is definitely required - his name was Thomas Wright!!!

Thanks

SueS

SueS Report 12 Nov 2007 16:34

Tony

if you had his marriage certficiate you would have his father's name and occupation which would help find him on the census.

Anthony

Anthony Report 12 Nov 2007 17:05

Thanks Sue,

I guess I should ask my father for a copy of his wedding certificate and try to take it from there!!

Kind Regards

Tony

Emma

Emma Report 13 Nov 2007 14:27

Hi, was just searching 1901 census and there is a Thomas Wright who is at a school in Sculcoates, Yorkshire at the age of 12 who is from London. Could this be him?

Anthony

Anthony Report 13 Nov 2007 16:21

Thanks Emma, I am going to check that one now, to see if he had any brothers or sisters.. will keep you posted

Thanks again

Tony

Anthony

Anthony Report 13 Nov 2007 17:30

Hmmmmm, the address in Hull does indeed show a Thomas Wright aged 12 living there, along with lots of other children from various places around the country. The adults in the house are described as sisters of mercy, so I guess it was some sort of childrens home. All the kids are around 12 - 13 years though, so the plot is thickening.

I cannot find any definite proof that my Grandfather was in London at the time of the census, and I know that at some point in his life he moved to Yorkshire. This Thomas Wright does seem to fit, but I have no way of checking..... does anyone have any advice??

SueS

SueS Report 13 Nov 2007 18:01

Tony

I saw that Sculcoates Thomas also but didn't think he was yours as you say he had brothers Wm and Anthony..at the same school/orphanage? is a 10 year old Henry Wright and 5 year old George Wright also from London and I assumed they were 3 brothers. You need to know your great grandfather's name and occupation from your grandfather's marriage certificate.

SueS

Anthony

Anthony Report 13 Nov 2007 18:19

Thanks for the message Sue,

I have tried searching for my Grandfathers marriage. My Grandmothers name was Jessie Cowen from near Scarborough, however she was previously married to an Edward Dawson, who was killed on the railways. I can find the marriage to Dawson in 1919, but can see no mention of a Jessie Dawson or a Jessie Cowen marrying a Thomas Wright..

Still stumped I am afraid. Who would think it would be so difficult to go back 2 generations????

Kind Regards

Tony

SueS

SueS Report 13 Nov 2007 18:30

Is your father his son and do you have his birth certificate?....if so, how is Jessie named? If you don't have it, what is his date of birth as I can look in the birth index for mother's surname to see if it is Wright or Dawson.

Sue

Anthony

Anthony Report 14 Nov 2007 02:38

Hi Sue

My dads birthday is 29th Sep 1931 and his name is Thomas Wright also.

Thanks so much for your help.

Tony