Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Black

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belinda

Belinda Report 12 Nov 2007 16:07

I was wondering if anyone could find out any information on William Black last known address 55? Broomfield Street Chelmsford. I have no date of birth for him although i suspect it's around 1910. Many thanks in advance!

Sam

Sam Report 12 Nov 2007 16:14

What kind of information?

Sam x

Belinda

Belinda Report 12 Nov 2007 16:22

birth, death marriage etc Sam I dont know if it's possible with no accurate date of birth :( I must stress his last known address was in Chelmsford I think he was actually from the Manchester area although I did hear he spent quite a bit of time in prison throughout the 1940's 50's and 60's

Sam

Sam Report 12 Nov 2007 16:27

That's quite a job! William Black isn't exactly an uncommon name and if you have no idea when his marriage/death will have taken place, it will be very difficult.

It will mean searching through the GRO indexes quarter by quarter, and if you find a marriage, how will you know its the right one? Do you have any idea of his wifes name?

Same for his death, how will you know if its 'your' William Black? There are 54 deaths registered between 1984-2005 and probably hundreds more before this.

Sam x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2007 16:29

The name is not unusual enough for uninformed searches.

Do you know whether he actually married?

If so, did the marriage produce offspring?

If it did, names, plus years and places of birth would help..........

Without some firm info, it will be virtually impossible...........

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2007 16:31

If you know when he was last at the address you quote, why not treat yourself to some units on findmypast, and try to find at least a death..........

You can get 50 units for £5.00...........enough to search 12 full years.

Reg

Belinda

Belinda Report 12 Nov 2007 16:34

What I do know is there was a marriage between Him And amelia Smethurst although I'm not sure what that date was either!!! I'd think between 1942 and '46 I'm beginning to wish I hadnt started this, it seems there's more skeletons than a graveyard!!

Belinda

Belinda Report 12 Nov 2007 16:36

Just thinking aloud here.....as his last known address was in chelmsford wouldnt the Local library be able to help with regards to the electoral roll?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2007 16:42

Contact them.......they may be prepared to do searches.

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2007 16:51

This is your other posting.........the info on here may help

09/11/2007 10:24:26
I am trying to find any information of an Amelia Smethurst she was originally from the manchester/oldham area. she had Children, Syliva, Barbara and John (d 1971 aged 17) I know she was married to William Black who was Barbara's father and a William Henry Smethurst who was John's father. I am unsure of her actual year of birth however I know it was 3rd October. She died in 1984 after marrying a man named Harold Audsley in 1971 but I'm at a loss as to any other information.
If anyone is related to the smethursts or Blacks of the manchester and Oldham area it would be greatly appreciated!

Is this supposed to be the same Amelia whose birth I found for you?

No death registered for Amelia Audsley in 1984..............

Reg

Belinda

Belinda Report 12 Nov 2007 17:07

I've been in touch with them and they are going to get back to me. Thanks for your help.

Belinda

Belinda Report 13 Nov 2007 09:43

Just a quick note to say thanks again for the help. Chelmsford Library did get back to me and gave me a date of birth and (unfortunately) when he died also. I found out that his mother's maiden name was Miller and he was born in Liverpool which was quite a shock as I always believed he was from Manchester!! Dont really know where to go from here other than to try and get hold of a birth certificate to find out his parents names but once again thanks!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Nov 2007 10:32

Might this be his birth reg'n?

Name: William C Black
Year of Registration: 1912
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's Maiden Name: Miller
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 4

Reg

Belinda

Belinda Report 13 Nov 2007 10:45

I think that is the one Reggie, Hopefully i'm about to find out more as I got in touch with the crematorium and they gave me the name of the man who arranged his funeral. I've spoken to him and it turns out my grandfather had a whole other family! The man in question is going to phone me back shortly so fingers crossed I'll find out more...the plot thickens!