Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McArthur and Hancock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 12 Nov 2007 22:13

I need help with a look up for shipping from Scotland 1881, also Rockhampton QLD for 1881/1882

Can anyone find anything on Margaret McArthur arrived in Rockhampton qld in 1881(from Scotland), she gave birth to Maggie (daughter in 1881) living in rockhampton (address?).

She married Frederick Hancock (of Bath Somerset) in 1882 Brisbane reg office, the siblings of the marriage (frederick, eva, ida) don't seem to know of Maggie (Margaret isabella Hancock).

Thankyou so much.

Julie

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 13 Nov 2007 02:08

Hi Julie

Is this your Margaret ?

Name: Margaret McArthur
Aged: 22 years
Vessel: Windsor Castle
Departed: Plymouth: 23.04.1880
Arrived: Rockhampton: 23 07 1880

Helen

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 13 Nov 2007 02:51

Hi Julie,

Although the five children born to Margaret & Frederick Jamaes were registered as outside of Brisbane, they could have been living fairly close ( i.e. Ipswich perhaps ).

I don't want to swamp you with information you already have, but did you know that most of the family is interred at the Toowong Cemetery.

I found a Margaret Isabella Hancock marrying a Harry Knight Lambourne in 1901 and likewise they are buried at Toowong Cemetery.

bye Helen

Julie

Julie Report 13 Nov 2007 05:50

Dear Helen,

Yes this is my Margaret, Thankyou very much for your help. I guess I will have to find some electoral rolls, I don't think we have census' in australia.

Thankyou
Julie