Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For Moody Blue

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 13 Nov 2007 08:46

Hi again Brenda,
I've just seen the additional information you posted yesterday.You have done a great job and I thank you very much.You were wondering about the changing professions of my Alex Elder.I've been having my doubts too wondering whether there could be two guys in the area with the same name,same birth year and maybe even a wife with the same name but overall it looks like he mayjust have chopped and changed jobs.I have the birth reg of his son Alexander Nicoll Elder 9 November 1866 at Crossley,Pluscarden,Elgin which says he is a shoemaker.Now your 1861 census listed him at Fosterseat which I know is a farm in Pluscarden and still a shoemaker.Also on that list were John Gallon and wife Isabella .John is a cousin of the Jane Gallon who married Alex Elder in 1863. She is the mother of the baby born 1866 on the certificate.In the 1871 census it is definitely the same family you found in Rothes ,Morayshire -the name of the child Alex and age are correct and Jane Gallon had an illegitemate son prior to the marriage ,William Russell,born 1860 and he is with the family in 1871.The father is now a gamekeeper.I'm assuming he wasn't very good at the shoemaking business or perhaps preferred the outdoor life.He moved to Offaly in central Ireland between 1871 and 1873 when the next child,John, was born.The young Alex grew up to be a groom in a stables so it kind of fits.
Thanks once again for all your time.
Joan