Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Airman's number

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 13 Nov 2007 12:28

Anyone know what i can find out about my Grandad's war history with his Airman's Number. Would like to trace where he was posted etc. I have pictures of him in Blackpool, but aparently this was a big RAF training camp and most Airmen went here.

Any ideas??

Claire

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Nov 2007 12:33

You could apply here for his service record:-

Royal Air Force
Officers that enlisted from 1922 onwards and Airmen that enlisted from 1924 onwards. For RAF personnel prior to these dates contact the National Archives:

PMA IM 1B RAF
Room 5Building 248A
RAF Personnel Management Agency
RAF Innsworth
GLOUCESTER
GL3 1EZ
T 01452 712612 (ext: 7622)

I think you have to be able to say there isn't someone closer to him (like your parents) still alive, otherwise they will have to apply. Costs about £30.

Kath. x

Claire

Claire Report 13 Nov 2007 12:59

Ooh thank you. So, i could get my dad to apply and he wouldn't have to pay?? My grandad's siblings are all prob dead now, so my dad would be the closest relative.

I'll get on the case. Thanks for your help

x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Nov 2007 19:09

Sorry for the delay Claire.

Just wanted to let you know that your dad would still have to pay. It's only if the serviceman himself is still alive that he can get the records free. Your dad will also have to have proof that your grandad is dead (death certificate).

Kath. x

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 13 Nov 2007 19:27

The camp your grandad was at in Blackpool was probably RAF Weeton, it was a large training station.