Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone look up for me please!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Nov 2007 17:35

I have William Sparrow born c1789 Hasfield, Gloucestershire fathers name William mother Catherine/Caroline.

I have him on the census 1851 aged 62 living with his brother John and on the 1871 census on his own aged 82 it shows on the image he was a widower therefore I have checked back on marriages and found a marriage between a William Sparrow and Mary Bate 1.11.1813 can anyone confirm if this is the same William as he seems to have dropped off the census for 1841/1861 etc...

Much obliged

Joanne

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Nov 2007 18:13

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Nov 2007 18:28

Hi Jan

I have him with the rest of his family - siblings Sarah Sparrow c1786 (Hasfield), then William c1789 (Hasfield), Thomas c1792, Mary c1795, John c1798, Anne c1802 & Elizabeth c1806 all born in Hasfield as confirmed in Genuki.org on the Gloucestershire/worcestershire transcripts. I have located him in the census records 1851/1871 cannot seem to locate him in between??? I have managed to find a marriage in the Hasfield registers for a William Sparrow to Mary Bate 1.11.1813 but it does not mention their fathers as it sometimes does, although in the census records 51/71 it does state he was a widower so trying to find out if this was his wife?? I would also be very grateful if you manage to locate this information if you could confirm his mothers name before marriage as I cannot seem to find her.

I know I'm pushing it but I would be very grateful.

Many thanks for you help

Jo

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Nov 2007 18:29

I believe it's him on the 61 census, mistranscribed Spanor born Masfield, Glouc. he's a widower, aged 70, a visitor in the home of Ann Collins, a widow, also 70, in Tirley, Glouc.

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Nov 2007 18:32

Thats interesting!!

Thanks Margaret can you find him in any prior to 1851 census.

Many thanks

Jo

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Nov 2007 18:37

Just one on the 41 census, age 50, a servant, born Gloucester, living in Churchdown, Glouc.
Doesn't help at all, does it?

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Nov 2007 18:38

Thanks Jan I sooooo appreciate it.

Many thanks

Jo

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Nov 2007 18:39

Its always another avenue to check Margaret, Im thankful for your effort anyway.

many thanks

Jo