Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manchester Cathedral.. what do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Nov 2007 22:39

I have some baptisms in Manchester cathedral of a group of siblings to William and Maria Shaw.

I know these are the parents I am seeking, but on the census that Sue found me on another post, they appear to be living in fairly working class accommodation as dyers, do you think this sort of family would have had baptisms at the Cathedral? Does anyone know?

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 19 Nov 2007 22:53

I too have a whole family baptised at Manchester cathedral, and their parents were married there as well., they also lived and worked in a "working class" setting.

I am not at all familiar with the area, but wonder if this was the nearest place to where they lived.

The family seemed to live very close to the heart of Manchester, and I belive that is where the Cathedral is situated,

Any Mancunians out there who could verify this?

Nicky

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Nov 2007 22:59

aha... you may be onto something here... this is what I just found from googling the "manchester cathedral archives" (why do I not do google before this thread?!)

"Manchester Cathedral keeps its own Archives relating to all aspects of its functions as both a Parish and a Cathedral Church. Although Manchester was only made a Cathedral in 1848, it has been a Collegiate Church since 1421, and the Archives date back as far as 1361."

So as a parish church I guess its perfectly feasible that working class folks had their baptism there... guess next step might be to track their address vs the cathedral to see how close... or that might make me doubt it again!!!

Hurrah!!!! mine were only 400m direct walk, maybe it IS feasible after all!

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Nov 2007 23:04

thanks all for your comments.

Dianne

Dianne Report 20 Nov 2007 00:11

My Auntie Jo and Uncle Andy got married there and we are a dead ordinary family. Not a posh bone in us lol

Dianne xx

Gerard

Gerard Report 20 Nov 2007 12:27

I have written about the history of the Collegiate & Parish Church of Manchester later elevated to Manchester Cathedral. Contact me by pm and I will give you the details.

Ged

Optimist

Optimist Report 21 Nov 2007 15:48

Hello All,

The following website gives Manchester catherdral BMDs from the 1600s to around 1836.
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester/Manchester-Central/cathedral/index.html

Lyn.

Pamela

Pamela Report 21 Nov 2007 17:53

The useful thing about the site Lyn mentions is that more info is available eg father's occupation. However, its not complete for that period, but I was lucky enough to find one of mine in it.