Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 20 Nov 2007 10:57

i am trying to find sibling and parental info on my GGrandfather William Goldstein.
He was born approx. june 1901 and would have been too young to appear in the census.
I have hit a bit of a brick wall as i have no info on william other than a rough idea of date of birth.
If any GR veterans can give any advice or are able to look it up for me i will be eternally grateful!!!

Kind Regards
Michelle

Sam

Sam Report 20 Nov 2007 11:00

Where was he born?

There is this possibility on FreeBMD (FREE to search)

Births Jun 1901 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goldstein William Whitechapel 1c 306

To find his parents names, you would need to order the birth certificate. Do you have his marriage certificate? This will tell you his fathers name.

Sam x

Michelle

Michelle Report 20 Nov 2007 11:08

Hi Thanks for looking

I did have a look at freeBDM and thats where i found williams date of birth-But i'm not sure how accurate it is!
I was hoping there may have been an easier way to trace williams siblings -Without knowing his exact date of birth it will be tricky trying to find williams birth cert.
Looks like i'm going to have to work hard!!
Thanks again
Michelle x

Sam

Sam Report 20 Nov 2007 11:11

You can't just look up a name of FreeBMD and assume that the person you find is yours, it hasn't transcribed all records for a start.

Start with what you know. Where have you had William's name from? Do you know when he died? If he died after 1969 his date of birth will be recorded in the death indexes. Do you know when or who he married? His marriage certificate will give you his age and also his fathers name/occupation. All this will help you trace his birth and that of any siblings.

What part of the country was he from?

Sam x

Michelle

Michelle Report 20 Nov 2007 11:58

Hi
I do realise that FreeBDM is not a reliable source,because i have checked births that i know to be born on a certain date and they dont appear on the indexes!

Williams name appears on his childrens birth certs,But it appears as william Downs,not Goldstein.He changed his name to Downs sometime before his marriage to Violet Atkins(She also changed her name on several occassions!) in 1922.This is what creates my problem!
I dont know if he would be listed in any of the Records as Downs or Goldstein-All very confusing!
I dont have any other info such as death,exact birth ,exact marriage details or anything!