Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Little Nudge Needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wizz

wizz Report 20 Nov 2007 19:29

My G/Grandmother was in the Workhouse,In Louth Lincs,during 1901 and 1914.l need to know how l can find out about her time in the workhouse,ie her fathers and Mothers name,were she was born.
l am having real probs,going any further than my G/Grandmother in my tree,due to her surname being "Smith",a fairly common name!!!!!!.
lf any person that could throw some light my way,in finding out what l need to know,l would be very grateful.

Kind Regards
B.Archer

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 20 Nov 2007 19:35

maybe some help

The Lincolnshire Archives has the Louth Poor Law Union admission/discharge registers (1872-1934 with gaps); the Guardians' minute books (1837-64, 1866-1930); Births (1847-65, 1910-36); Deaths (1837-66, 1914-36); Creed registers (1869-1930 with gaps); Lunatics register (1895-1905).

We have a portion of the Louth Union Creed Register. This is not the Admissions List for the workhouse, but provides a list of inmates and their religion.

We also have a small text file of Louth Union births you can review (and add to!).

For more on LFHS and the Lincoln Archives have on Lincolnshire Poor Law records, see our Poorhouses page.

For more on researching Poor Law records, see our Poor Law records