Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adam Thornton 1876. CLOSED.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Nov 2007 21:56

Hi,
I am trying to find out more about my Great Grandad Adam Thornton and his family. Adam was born 31.03.1876 in Annfield Plain, County Durham. He married Maria Towdoff on 23.01.1897. My Grandad John William and his sister Ethel I know about, but I am sure there were other children as my late dad talked about an Uncle Tommy, but I can't find anything.
Also I am trying to find out more about Adam's parents, John Thornton and Jane Dixon. They had both been married before according to their marriage certificate and were both bereaved. Jane's maiden name was Pigford and her first husband was Thomas Dixon. I can't find a record of John's first marriage. I know his father was called William and was a mason.
Adam only appears on the 1901 census and I can't find him anywhere else!!
Any help or new relatives greatly welcomed.
Thanks everyone,
Kathryn.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Nov 2007 22:22

Have you checked ancestry WW1 war pensions? You seem to have ancestry? He is on there but my ancestry is playing up at the moment - there are 3 pages anyway.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Nov 2007 22:44

Just managed to see some of it - very slow loading. Well he is in Annfield stil, 26 Annfield Placel, a miner and 5ft 91/2" tall - quite tall for then. He is married to Maria and he names 3 children - 1 is crossed out and illegitimate written next to her name.

Thomas Henry 12.3.1901 (or 5?)
Eliza Toddoff 30.3.1906 (?) This one has illegitimate next to her name.

John William 15.9.1899