Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with parish registers information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jamie

Jamie Report 21 Nov 2007 19:42

could someone please tell me what information is contained on a marriage document from a parish register pre 1837, apparently they dont contain fathers name does anyone know actually what is on one
jamie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2007 19:50

You will normally find:-

Date of marriage
Name of bride and groom
Condition to marriage (Bachelor, spinster etc.)
Age (sometimes just "full age" if over 21)
Grooms occupation
Sometimes address but more likely "of this parish" or the name of the parish.
Witnesses names.

Kath. x

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Nov 2007 19:51

I have one from 1815 - it gives bride and groom - my one says full age for both of them but others may contain ages. It gives address - but in my case this is just an area. Occupation of groom. Witnesses (you might strike lucky and find a relative). Mine was not a great help but you might be luckier.

Happy hunting

Jill

Jamie

Jamie Report 21 Nov 2007 20:05

thanks for the info, i am trying to find out where my gggg grandfather was born, ont 1841 census it says not born in county(gloucestershire) he died in i believe in 1846 so i couldnt get info from that other than his wife mary gillett my gggg grandmother was born in stanway, a very kind person found his marriage thomas wright to mary gillett in 1818 stanway, so does anyone know where i can go from here to find where he was born 1841 says born 1791
jamie

Jamie

Jamie Report 21 Nov 2007 20:29

can anyone help
jamie

Jamie

Jamie Report 21 Nov 2007 21:18

nudge

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2007 21:27

Sorry Jamie, there are just too many Thomas Wright's born around that time on the IGI.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Nov 2007 00:08

Joan,

The 1841 census said Thomas was NOT born in Gloucestershire, so could have been born anywhere else.

Kath. x