Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Sleaford, Lincs. Burial record or M.I look-up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 21 Nov 2007 22:22

Hi
I am trying to track down a Thomas Robert Rawlinson born @1786 in Lincs.
The only suitable baptism I can find on the IGI was a Thomas R. Rawlinson on 12/2/1785 at New Sleaford. But unfortunately it also shows a burial on 15/2/1785 for him.

Does anyone have the burial records or MI's that might show whether or not this child did die shortly after birth??
Thanks
Cheryl

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Nov 2007 22:32

The one you found may be your chap's brother. I've come across several instances where an older child - quite often named after father - dies, and a younger child (born after the first child's death) is then given the same name. They seemed to do this for continuity. It doesn't seem to happen nowadays does it but back then it looked like a logical thing to do!!

So, it might be worth following up the record you've found to see if there was a later baptism by the same parents. You can order the film in to your local LDS church and trawl through the baptisms. (I'm doing that at the moment for one of my lot and it is very time consuming but worth it!)

Jill

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 21 Nov 2007 22:59

Thanks Jill,

But to confuse the issue in 1786 the parents baptised another son Thomas Litchford Rawlinson!

It does look to all intents and purposes like the burial for the Thomas R. in 1785 is correct - but it so tantalising that he fits my own Thomas so well that I have to make sure it's not him.

I've tracked down and eliminated the other Thomas Rawlinsons born @1786 in the Grantham area (1841 address Manthorpe cum Little Gonerby). If it's not this Sleaford one, then he must be from further afield (he died just after the 1841 census so I don't even have an exact place of birth)

Any other suggestions welcomed!
Cheryl