Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone check a death/burial Brighton/Hove plea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 22 Nov 2007 07:41

My grandfather always thought his name was Woodgate, in fact his real father (john Dine) took the surname of Woodgate. I know that John Dine/Woodgate was alive in 1901 and I know he had died by Feb 1916. Can anyone narrow the search down and can they tell me if he was buried as John Dine or John Woodgate.

Thanks.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Nov 2007 09:29

Cant see the father, but this may be of interest: A year old boy.

Deaths Mar 1904 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DINE John 1 Brighton 2b 165

Theres these Woodgates in Sussex: Do any of the ages fit? Of course Ive just looked on freebmd - which you can do too free and which is not complete - to check every quarter of every year you would need the complete index. What name did he marry in?

Deaths Jun 1903 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woodgate John 84 Uckfield 2b 78

Deaths Jun 1908 (>99%)

Woodgate John 81 Tonbridge 2a 445

Deaths Sep 1910 (>99%)

Woodgate John 50 Tonbridge 2a 376

Julie

Julie Report 22 Nov 2007 09:50

tHANKS hEATHER. I have looked on BMD from 1910-1916 but cant find either John Woodgate or Dine.
The John aged 50 in Tonbridge might be a possibilty as I found a Hannah Woodgate died 1913 in Tonbridge so maybe they moved there.
Thanks for your help.

Julie

Julie Report 22 Nov 2007 09:52

p.s they never married. Hannah Woodgate was her first husbands name,. he died in 1876 and she took up with John Dine and had more kids which she named Woodgate-Dine. My grandfather thought his surname was woodgate until 1921 when he changed it to Dine but I dont know what happened that he found out.

Julie

Julie Report 22 Nov 2007 10:02

Thanks Krystyna. I shall google it.
The last address I had for John and Hannah was in Hove. This info was from my grandfathers War records, he joined in 1909 and left in 1919.
I would have thought they were buried in Hove but I dont know what name he used!!

Julie

Julie Report 22 Nov 2007 10:08

51 Rusland Road Hove. The writing is a bit scrawly but thats what it looks like

Julie

Julie Report 22 Nov 2007 10:15

Oh ok Rutland, yes that looks right.
I am pretty sure he wasnt a catholic. But who knows, his whole life and death is a mystery.That narrows it down abit
Thanks very much for your help.
Local knowledge really makes a difference.