Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edwin is driving me crazy!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 22 Nov 2007 10:42

Yesterday I had lots of help on here from very kind people. I now though am totally stumped...here goes

George Appleton 1837 Liverpool married Eliza Lane, Bedminster, Bristol 1860. From marriage cert George's father was Edwin Appleton a brush maker.
On IGI George is baptised as George Chambers Appleton..in subsequesnt census he starts going by George C Appleton.
In 1841 census there is a Edwin & Elizabeth Appleton living at Bispham St with baby Adam. Reg also very kindly found poss death of Adam. No sign of George.

I checked 1841 census for George Chambers (baptism George Chambers Appleton). Thought I was getting somewhere when I found a George 50yrs & Mary 45 yrs Chambers with a male George aged 4years living in same street as Edwin & family.

Then Andy found a marriage for Edwin Appleton brushmaker & Elizabeth Toombs at St Anne's, Richmond 26/06/1837 on family history online. So if her last name was Toombs where did Chambers come from??? see what I mean.

Still can't find Edwin in 1851
Any advice or pointers in right direction very much appreciated as I am on the verge of going cross eyed and bald.

Marcelle

Darklord

Darklord Report 22 Nov 2007 10:49

Hi I have family relatives and ancestors with Surnames for middle names. This points to the Chambers name being a possible surname further down your family line. The ones my family carry are surnmes of Grand or GGrand parents. I think they were mainly given to girls if there were no boys to carry the name forward

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 22 Nov 2007 10:52

So George's dad Edwin, his mother or father may have been a Chambers?
Trouble is how do you prove it before 1837 when registration began...is it by baptismal registers

thanks Peter

Darklord

Darklord Report 22 Nov 2007 11:02

Have you tried www.familysearch.com ??? They have a good record system of pre1837 stuff including baptisms

Pete

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 22 Nov 2007 11:02

Will have a look now

Sorry Peter that is what I have been looking at. There was a baptism for Edwin with father John so I searched for any John's with a marriage to a Chambers and nothing

Thanks anyway. I think I will leave Edwin and family for a few days and come back to it with a clear head....it's so frustrating

Efes123

Efes123 Report 22 Nov 2007 11:42

Hi Marcelle,

Have you found the record of Edwin in the 1861 census. Ref: Class: RG9; Piece: 2148; Folio: 5; Page: 3; GSU roll: 542925.

He's living in Birmingham, looks like a lodging house, he's a brush maker so quite likely to be the right one. Says he was born in 1817 in Liverpool.

Cheers

Phil

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 22 Nov 2007 15:34

Thanks Phil

Still cant find him in 1851

Marcelle

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 22 Nov 2007 19:03

How did people disappear...or did they hide?