Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone have The Tasmanian Pioneers Index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 22 Nov 2007 11:00

Looking for death of Annie (possibly Maryann or Mary Ann) NEALL nee GRIFFIN (possibly Maryann or Mary Ann)between 1878 & 1888 in Hobart. Can anyone assist?

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 22 Nov 2007 11:25

Hi John,

Have you tried with Tasmania Archives Office website? You could search names.

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8

Cheers, Steven from Melbourne.

John

John Report 22 Nov 2007 11:28

Thank you

I did obtainsome details about the family from that site. However it doesn't go as far as 1888. Annie is listed there as still living. However I know she died between 1878 & 1888.

Thanks again

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 22 Nov 2007 22:39

Hi John,

I have CD-Rom of The Tasmanian Pioneers Index from 1803 to 1899. I believe this one is same with Tasmania Archives Office.

So I did search it with the CD and there is nothing. I have tried with various surnames, like Neal, Neil, Niel, Nealle, etc.

Do you have her husband James Gabriel Neall’s death details?

Cheers, Steven.

John

John Report 23 Nov 2007 03:08

Thank you for your help. James Gabriel Neall and one of his daughters Winifred Letitia NEALL emigrated to the US in about 1888. There are US census records 1900 & 1910 when they were living in Manhattan. A border crossing for James G NEALL in 1923 however I can't find what happened to them after that. In the 1900 census James is listed as widowed. In the 1910 census Winifred is listed as an ADAMS also widowed with daughter Priscilla. Lisa from the US is helping me with this search. I think I may have traced James to Sydney in 1887 the year before he emigrated. On the TAS records you mentioned there are 4 children mentioned, however James & Annie (Maryann?) had another child whilst living in Melbourne named Alfred he was my great grandfather. He died in Shellharbour NSW in 1959. This branch of my family tree has been very difficult to trace. I don't know what happened to Alfreds other sibblings or his mother. Alfred married in 1909 and his mother is listed as deceased on the marriage certficate.

On Alfred's birth regsitration in 1874 his parents advised that they were married in 1872 in Adelaide however Kerri a message board helper has told me that there is no record of it. James also advises that he was born in Adelaide. This would have been in 1841 pre-register so I have ordered the SAGS disc for pre registration births. Not holding my breath though as on James's border crossing record he says he was born in Tasmania. Annie (Maryann) says she was born in Scotland.

Thanks again for your help in trying to untangle this mystery.

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 27 Nov 2007 09:55

Hi John, I understand about that. Don't give up. You might find it one day.

My ggg grandparents lived in Tasmania in 1830s. Some of their children moved to Victoria in 1870s.

Have you tried to contact Hobart General cemetery? They might have located it.

Cheers, Steven.