Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NAME CHANGING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 23 Nov 2007 12:18

Hi, if anyone could help me i would be very grateful.
I am researching my husbands family and it appears from the certificates i have, that his grandfather changed his surname.
He was born Herbert John George McGhee (28.04.1905)
He married Winidfred Ethel Marguerite Smith (date unknown) whom he divorced and then re-married Elsie Evelina Bellman (31.05.1952) but on their marraige cert he is registed as Herbert Michael Rule otherwise known as Herbert John George McGhee.
Would anyone know how i would find out when he changed his name and why? I really don't know where to start.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Susan

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 23 Nov 2007 13:21

hi susan,

i couldnt resist looking for herberts first marriage.

j/f/m 1929.lambeth.

Susan

Susan Report 23 Nov 2007 13:25

Many thanks for that Jen.
I have been ploughing through the years, but hadn't got that far.

Susan.

DaveatHove

DaveatHove Report 23 Nov 2007 16:56

Changes of name by deed poll are held at the TNA at Kew in series J18. I am going there on Tuesday, among a lot of other things, to check out a change of name. They were "Bastards" that altered their name to Baxter (I wonder why?). I could have a quick look if you like.

David

DaveatHove

DaveatHove Report 27 Nov 2007 21:01

Hello Susan

I have replied separately , basically not able to find the name change at Kew.

David