Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sommerville (sp) in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 23 Nov 2007 20:08

Can anyone help with this one?

I have a Mary/Maria Sommerville (sp per the IGI on her son's baptism) born c1800 (age 40-44 in the 1841 census) married to Donald Cameron 20/08/1816 in the High Church, Paisley, Renfrew.

Can anyone identify her baptism/marriage record to ascertain her parents? Is Scotlands people the only place to look, and would they have it?

Its early days in my Scottish research!

many thanks

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 23 Nov 2007 20:13

If she died is Scotland after 1855, her death registration will show her parent's names

Pamela

Pamela Report 23 Nov 2007 20:33

Claire, unfortunately she probably didn't survive that long, her last child was born in 1833, but her husband had remarried and had another son by 1853!

alviegal

alviegal Report 23 Nov 2007 21:07

Hi Claire,
I'm afraid that because the marriage is pre 1855 it will be an old parish register. It is on scotlandspeople but will most probably just have the couples names and the date they were married. Some sometimes mention the father of the bride but this is not usually the case.

Liz

Pamela

Pamela Report 23 Nov 2007 21:28

Liz...

what would you advise?

I can't trace the marriage in the IGI, and there are several baptisms of Mary Somerville..

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Nov 2007 18:49

Sorry, don't know why I called you Claire previously! I looked at the Parish register and it's as I thought, just the names, parish and the date. There are a few births around 1800 but none in Paisley.
Can't find the marriage on IGI but can find it on scotlandsfamily.com and obviously scotlandspeople.
Can't find them on a census either. You say you have them in 1841, can you give a few details such as children, area etc.

Liz

Pamela

Pamela Report 24 Nov 2007 19:58

Liz,

Thanks so much for looking for me (I think the reference to Claire was because Claire posted a reply?!)

I will take out a sub to Scotlandspeople when the people I am doing this for are back from holiday .. still a couple of weeks to wait.. but I wanted to get as far as possible in their absence.

This is my first foray into Scottish research so I am a little bit ignorant what other free sites I can use for information.

This is them in 1841:
1841 Scotland Census
about Maria Cameron
Name: Maria Cameron
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801
Where born: Scotland

Civil Parish: Kilmallie
County: Argyll
Address: Corpach
Parish Number: 520
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Alex Cameron 15
Catherine Cameron 10
Donald Cameron 45
Duncan Cameron 14
John Cameron 20
Maria Cameron 40
Maryann Cameron 8
William Cameron 12

As I say, she died before the 1851 census (I haven't got her death date), and her maiden name was Somerville (various spellings) which was also given to John as a middle name.
Donald was a shop keeper and all the children were born at Corpach, Kilmallie (sometimes only called Kilmallie).

I believe (maybe naively!) that her parents were likely to be William Somerville and Jean Inglis, but there is a fair amount of supposition in that at the moment!!

Any pointers, gratefully received.

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Nov 2007 20:40

Sorry Pamela

Must go but will look again tomorrow.

Liz

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Nov 2007 21:26

Sorry,

I can't find anything else about her and I really don't know how you would find out. I wonder why they married in Paisley if neither of them was from there. Donald was born in Fort William according to the census. I'm sure you've seen this on familysearch but here it is anyway. I know it doesn't help at all but maybe someone will recognise some names

Husband

Donald Cameron Pedigree

Birth: 1796 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife

Mary Sommerville Pedigree

Birth: 1801 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Children
1. John Cameron Pedigree
Male

Birth: 1821 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

2. Sarah Cameron Pedigree
Female

Birth: 19 JUN 1824
Christening: 23 JUN 1824 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Death:
Burial:

3. Alexander Cameron Pedigree
Male

Birth: 28 MAY 1825
Christening: 04 JUN 1825 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Death:
Burial:

4. Duncan Cameron Pedigree
Male

Birth: 1827 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
5. William Cameron Pedigree
Male

Birth: 1829 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

6. Catherine Cameron Pedigree
Female

Birth:
Christening: 08 FEB 1832 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Death:
Burial:

7. Mary Ann Cameron Pedigree
Female

Birth: 14 JUN 1833
Christening: 27 SEP 1833 Corpach, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
Death:
Burial:

Even the birth certificates only have the parents names and place of residence.
I hope somebody else can pick up on this and help you more. Good luck

Liz

Pamela

Pamela Report 26 Nov 2007 22:07

Liz,

Well that is interesting... because although I had the marriage from the IGI, I must have picked it up from a different record, because I didn't have her down as born in Corpach, I just had her name. And on the 1841 census she is born outside the parish/county so it just says Scotland, that's what made me think she DID come from Paisley.

Do you think this record is just her residence prior to marriage?

Thankyou very much for looking at it for me.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 26 Nov 2007 22:22

If they followed the Scottish naming pattern (and thats all the kids they had). Then I would say that her parents where called Alexander and Sarah, though saying that, sometimes the families didnt follow it.

What where his parents called? Where they John and Catherine?

You could see if anyone has published a collection of MI's (memorial inscriptions) to she if she has a grave or the local burial registers, they might give an age if nothing else.

You could also trace the children and see if any of them gave any of their children middlenames. I;ve found that sometimes those are the surnames of their grandparents.

With a name like Cameron though, you could be looking for a while :)

Mhairi

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Nov 2007 22:42

I've checked sp for births between 1793 and 1807, varied spellings of Sommerville but can find none for Invernesshire and none for Paisley. She might not have been registered for various reasons. I'm afraid I'm stumped!

Liz

Pamela

Pamela Report 28 Nov 2007 11:20

Hi Mhari,

I have Donald's parents as Donald and Mary... perhaps there was a first born son called Donald who died, as the first son I have called John wasn't born until 5 years after their marriage.

At least Mary features in the other children!

Liz... thank you for your persistence, I must confess I was expecting her to be born in Lanarkshire if it was Paisley or close to, or Argyllshire if she was around Corpach, I think they were on the side of the loch/river which was deemed Argyllshire then.

As ever, all your efforts are much appreciated.

Pam & Pete