Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Overseas death? How do I find out where my father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Toni

Toni Report 24 Nov 2007 07:36

I have been advised, by the Royal Naval Office, Portsmouth, that my father died in 1992. I've searched GRO for England & Wales and Scotland and am unable to trace record of my father's death. I can only assume he must have died overseas. Can anyone tell me how I would go about finding out where he died?

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 08:03

Could be on findmy past, they have overseas deaths on there. What was his name?

Pete

Pete Report 24 Nov 2007 08:13

This is also in Tips Board and Trying to Find

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 08:34

Thanks Pete, hadn't noticed.

Toni

Toni Report 25 Nov 2007 09:21

Hi Pete / Bascat
Thanks for your messages. I am new to this and hadn't realised I would confuse issues by posting on more than one board - thought it would increase the chances of help. Really sorry! I am not at home at moment, but will post more details when I have my file in front of me. Full name was Kenneth Hall (no middle name). I have copy of his birth certificate. Date of death was supplied by RN Office, Portsmouth.

Nicki

Nicki Report 25 Nov 2007 09:30

Have looked on findmypast for you, nothing listed 1991,1992 or 1992. What was his date of birth?

Nicki

Toni

Toni Report 25 Nov 2007 09:41

Hi Nicki
Thanks for looking on findmypast. His is 18/11/33 - born in Hexham, Northumberland. I have copy of his birth certficate. I'm not at home a the moment but when get home, will put more details onto this thread eg. last known address, name of his second wife etc.
Thanks again,
Toni

Nicki

Nicki Report 25 Nov 2007 10:00

Toni

If born in 1933 and died in 1992 that would maybe suggest he was no longer in the Navy as at 59 too old at time of death (?) - perhaps he was a Naval pensioner at time of his death?

Nicki

Nicki

Nicki Report 25 Nov 2007 10:06

Toni

Found this death record for you on findmypast - correct name and birth date not death year though - possibility? You would need to order cert to be sure - worth a try though

Name Date of Birth Registration District

HALL, Kenneth 18 November 1933 Warrington

Year of Registration Month of Registration
1985 May

Volume No 35
Page No 1162
Reg No 585

Toni

Toni Report 25 Nov 2007 16:35

Hi Nicki
I have actually got the copy of this certificate and unfortunately it isn't the correct Kenneth Hall - wrong place of birth. A real coincidence though.

My father retired from the Navy in 1978 and his last known address was Whitefield in Manchester. I actually had a little article put into the local paper to where he lived to see if anyone could let me have information about him. Unfortunately, had no response.

Records I managed to get from RN office in Portsmouth, told me that he remarried in June 1971 (to Peggen) although, I've not been able to trace a marriage certificate. All a bit of a mystery really!

Nicki

Nicki Report 25 Nov 2007 16:51

Toni

Not everything is black & white.

I have a grandfather who deserted from the Army, rejoined in a different surname and using a wrong date of birth and remarried (bigamously). Later he then went back to his proper name and date of birth. Luckily I was able to get his Army file and was able to fill in lots of pieces of the jigsaw. I have since found his death, and bigamous marriage and birth of another son.

Also if his second wife is still alive she will be in receipt of a Naval pension, therefore, they would know her address, and although they may not give it to you, you could forward a letter to them and they could pass it on.

Dont give up though.

Nicki

Toni

Toni Report 25 Nov 2007 17:14

Hi everyone and thanks for reading my thread.

Here are a few more details about my father:

The dates I have for dob and dod were provided by RN Records Office, Portsmouth.
I have his birth certificate and may be able to get a copy of his first marriage certificate but could not locate record of his 2nd marriage (June 1971 to Peggen).
The RN Office gave me 2 dates for dod, but both in same year (13/12/92 & 14/6/92)
My father had no middle names.
When he retired he was living in Gosport, Hampshire but his last known address was Whitefield, Manchester.

This is all the information I have.

Toni