Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Soldier WW 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 03:30

I know my Great Uncle died in WW1, I have his details listed from the CWGC.

But how can I find out more about him? For example, what was the name of the battle he died in, things like that?

Details I have are:

Private Sydney Spencer Morris, 34951, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Remembered with honour Vis-En-Artois Memorial.

Born 1898 in Wolverton.

Died 27 Sep 1918.

Son of Mark Morris and Anna (Hannah) Cowley.
Any ideas?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Nov 2007 08:41

Hi Mary,

If you--Google-/web search,

"Vis-En-Artois" sites ....there are some lovely pictures of the memorials ,plus they can be contacted via email........also some sites have pictures of UK Soldiers,,
This may be worth a try,

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 19:12

Kay,
Thanks, I'll try that - I never thought of contacting them by email, maybe they will be able to tell me more!

MaryMc

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 20:10

Kay,
I Googled and as you said found some wonderful pictures! I was able to add a photo of him to one site.

I've just joined a site where members are willing to go and photograph the name panels, so here's hoping!

Now I'm busy Googling for sites where I may be able to find what battle he died in.

Thanks again!

MaryMc

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 21:11

I'm stuck on finding anything about the battle he died in, so if anyone has any pointers I'll be very grateful!

Thanks in advance

MaryMc

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 26 Nov 2007 04:16

Kay,

I haven't find the battle he died in yet, but I'm finding all sorts of other stuff!

MaryMc

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 26 Nov 2007 22:21

I've looked and looked and have info coming out of my ears, but still can't work out which battle he died in!
Can anyone help?

MaryMc

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 26 Nov 2007 22:29

I think you'd need to know which battalion he was in,and then you could find out from the war diaries where they were on that day. The museum for the regiment may be able to help with an outline of what they were doing that day. If not, all info would be at National Archives, Kew.

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 27 Nov 2007 00:37

Thanks Ann,

I've now found the battalion he was in, found my way around the National Archives and ordered what I hope are the correct papers!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

MaryMc

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 27 Nov 2007 14:16

Well done! Hope you get what you were looking for.

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 6 Dec 2007 09:10

David,
Thanks for the tip :)

MaryMc