Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frome, Somerset Record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 25 Nov 2007 20:39

Is anyone about to visit Taunton Record Office or have discs with birth records for Frome for around 1814, give or take a few years?

I am looking for Charles TROTMAN. On Census 1851 he was with family in Minster, Sheerness, in 61 & 71 in Charlton, Greenwich and he is always listed as born Frome, Somerset. By 1881 his wife Mary is listed as widow.

The only record on IGI FamilySearch gives a real possibility but states he was born in London. The reason I think this is the correct person with incorrect info is that the same record gives a death in 1880 which ties in with the 81 census and I've found a death for Charles Trotman in Woolwich (1d 609) Oct 1880.

I would love someone to find his birth in the Frome records and establish his parents names - maybe George Trotman and Mary Thurston.

Jo

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 25 Nov 2007 21:12

There are online Parish Clerks for Somerset.

http://wsom-opc.org.uk/Gazetter/SOM_A2Z.php?a2z=F

Looks like Frome might be covered.

Good luck

Sue

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 25 Nov 2007 21:18

Thanks Sue,

I'll take a look straight away.

Jo

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 25 Nov 2007 22:33

No luck so far, I'll take another look tomorrow night.

Jo

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Nov 2007 23:14

Is this him on the 1841 Census

Name: Chas Trotman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816

Civil Parish: Charlton Next Woolwich
Hundred: Lathe of Sutton at Hone Blackheath
County/Island: Kent

Registration district: Lewisham
Sub-registration district: Plumstead
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Chas Trotman 25 Boiler eny (???can't read abbreviation)
Mary Trotman 25

Address:- Plumstead, Charlton next Woolwich, Kent

For both of them, it says N for not born in county

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Nov 2007 23:16

and possily his marriage registration???

Getting this certificate would tell you his father's name

Marriages Dec 1840 (>99%)

BELL Luke Kensington 3 257
>>>>>BURROUGHS Mary Kensington 3 257
CAKEBREAD William Kensington 3 257
DYER Robert Kensington 3 257
GOLSBY Emma Kensington 3 257
GREY Edith Kensington 3 257
HURMSWORTH Eliza Kensington 3 257
>>>>>TROTMAN Charles Kensington 3 257

sylvia

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 26 Nov 2007 11:08

Sylvia,
Many thanks, yes that's him in '41. It probably says Boiler Eng. (engineer) - he and his son were boiler makers later on.

Talk about being blinkered, I never even thought about getting his marriage cert. Of course, that will give me part of the info I now need to move on. I'll let you know if father is George, as I suspect, when the certificate arrives.

Jo

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 26 Nov 2007 17:37

Sue (in Somerset)

I've tried all ways of finding my man in the web site you suggested but am certain I must be doing something wrong.

If I click on F for Frome I am presented with a possible 5 parishes. I select any of those and then click on Baptisms under Transcriptions on the RHSide. This takes me to a drop down facility which has parishes I've never heard of. By leaving them at "All" and adding the surname I'm told that in 44,153 records my search produced no hits!

Help please it must be easier than this!

Jo