Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

im stuck with my research

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 27 Nov 2007 18:09

hi im trying to find information on my grandmas family her name was edith clara moody she was born in1911 and lived on the isle of wight her family were i think in the timber buisness if anyone knows how to reseasrch this area or has any info i would be very pleased to hear from them

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Nov 2007 18:27

You probably need to start with her birth certificate, which will give you her parents' names.

You can get the info you need for ordering her birth certificate at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

by searching for her name, birthdate 1911. I got it quickly though:

Name: Edith C Moody
Year of Registration: 1911
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's Maiden Name: Foster
District: Isle of Wight
County: Hampshire, Isle of Wight
Volume: 2b
Page: 1128

Actually, I recommend that you do the search at FreeBMD and click on the spectacles beside her name to view the actual image, and make sure that all the info above (esp. volume and page numbers) has been correctly transcribed.

Once you have her parents' names, you can search for their marriage and order that certificate to learn their fathers' names, and search for them in the 1901 census and so on back.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Nov 2007 18:27

Dang, Suzi-Wong -- I forgot to notice we were looking at 1911 and so the mother's surname was already there!

David

David Report 27 Nov 2007 18:38

Georgina Eliza Foster birth Sep 1888 I Wight Volume 2b page 557.

James Henry Moody birth Jun 1887 I Wight Volume 2b page 650.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Nov 2007 18:54

Ha, no, Suzanne. McCock. ;)

I'm going to nudge my long Ernest Monck thread and stick the tale in there, for your amusement.