Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SHEPHERDS OF STAVELEY, WESTMORLAND

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wayne

Wayne Report 27 Nov 2007 18:21

My Great-Great-Grandparents were James Shepherd (b. 1849) and Jane (Palmer) Shepherd (b. 1846). James and Jane Shepherd produced 11 children in the village of Staveley, Westmorland. I’ve been trying for years to trace the descendants of these children but with little luck. Here is what I know about the 11 Shepherd children:

1)Mary Grace Shepherd (b. 1871)
-married Thomas Jackson Bowness in 1900
-Last Seen: at age 29 in 1901 Census, living with husband Thomas at Natland Cottage, Natland – no children at the time

2)William Shepherd (b. 1873)
-my Great-Grandfather
-descendants traced

3)James Shepherd (b. 1875)
-married Ann Allison in late-1901
-Last Seen: at age 26 in 1901 Census, still single, living as a boarder in the home of Thomas and Agnes Nicholson in Strickland Ketel, Westmorland

4)Margaret Jane Shepherd (b. 1876)
-possibly married either William Bathurst or Robert George Birkett in 1906
-Last Seen: at age 24 in 1901 Census, still single, living with her parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

5)Joseph Shepherd (b. 1878)
-possibly married Hannah Railton in 1910
-Last Seen: at age 23 in 1901 Census, still single, living with his parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

6)Tom Shepherd (b. 1880)
-possibly married either Harriette Duguid or Elizabeth Agnes Knowles in 1904
-Last Seen: at age 21 in 1901 Census, still single, living with his parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

7)Agnes Ann Shepherd (b. 1881)
-possibly married (in Lancaster) either James Octavus Clement or William John F. Young in 1902
-Last Seen: at age 9 in 1891 Census, living with her parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

8)Bryan Palmer Shepherd (b. 1882)
-possibly married either Mary Capstick or Bessie Tatham in 1908
-Last Seen: at age 19 in 1901 Census, still single, living with his parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

9)Sarah Alice Shepherd (b. 1884)
-possibly married in 1903
-Last Seen: at age 6 in 1891 Census, living with her parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

10)George Shepherd (b. 1886)
-possibly married either Mary Jane Bond or Annie Greenwood in 1909
OR
Mary I. Birkett in 1910
-Last Seen: at age 16 in 1901 Census, still single, living with his parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

11)Edward Shepherd (b. 1889)
-possibly married Ann Tate in 1907
-Last Seen: at age 12 in 1901 Census, living with his parents in Main Street, Over Staveley

If anyone can give me any clues about the descendants of these SHEPHERDs -- or how I might go about finding them -- I would be very grateful!

Thanks very much!

Wayne Shepherd

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Nov 2007 18:38

Have you tried searching birth records post-1911 for parents with the surnames you list?

You have quite the smorgasbord to choose from, but taking one known pair of names, these are the search results at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

for births surname Shepherd, mother's surname Allison, 1911 to 1925:

Births Dec 1912
Shepherd Hilda M Allison Sheffield 9c 1275
Births Sep 1914
SHEPHERD Jessie Allison Chesterfield 7b 1673
Births Mar 1917
Shepherd Thomas Allison Pontypridd 11a 1190
Births Dec 1917
Shepherd Fred Allison Chesterfield 7b 1195
Births Dec 1920
Shepherd Margery Allison Pontypridd 11a 1373

Looks like 3 or maybe 2 couples with those surnames having kids, quite likely none/neither of them yours. But it's probably worth the time to check out what you can find, for each child in your list with each possible spouse's surname for each one.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Nov 2007 18:47

Just a Q - when you say "possibly married", does that mean you have got marriage certificates and the people in question in each marriage can't be ruled out as yours? i.e. ages and fathers' names match?

If not, looks like you might have to spend some money. ;)

Presumably you know/are related to the various other people at GR who have Shepherds born in Stavely in their trees?

How about searching trees for individuals born in Stavely who might be children of the Shepherd daughters, by the surnames of their potential grooms? Or for their possible husbands? I'll bet you have. ;)

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Nov 2007 18:47

HI.
HAVE FOUND A SARAH ALICE SHEPHERD IN 1901 CENSUS. SHE WAS LIVING AS A DOMESTIC SERVANT.
PARISH OF ST OSWALDS IN SKIPTON IN WEST RIDING.
SHE WAS 17 WHICH FITS BIRTH OF 1884 AND PLACE OF BIRTH WAS OVER STAVELY