Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doris Millicent Maw

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Dec 2007 01:02

After receiving what I thought was a relatives marriage cert it turns out to be a different Doris Maw.

The age differs as does the father who is named as Henry Maw of 23 Kings Rd, Cudworth, Barnsley.

Whilst I say it's a different Doris to mine - her father was Arthur James Maw, I'm very curious to find more about this family as It could just be the link I'm looking for with another family member that disappeared for the first 20 years of his life and then turned up in Barnsley.

Any info on the line of Henry Maw - miner who working back from the date of his daughters marriage in 1927 would be aged approx 22yrs making his birth c1880. Doris was 24 when she married

Would any kind persons be willing to have a look to see what they can come up with - especially his parents names to see if I can go back from them and tie in.

Thanks
Margaret

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Dec 2007 01:36

This is the only Arthur James on Freebmd.

Births Sep 1885
Maw Arthur James Barnsley 9c 167

Marriages Jun 1909
MAW Arthur James Barnsley 9c 354

Rose

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2007 04:33

oopsies

got confused, started finding Arthur's family, not Henry's!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2007 04:41

oopsie ..... started finding Arthur family not Henry!!

Ivy

Ivy Report 1 Dec 2007 07:41

Hi Margaret,

Can you give us some more info on your Maw family origins? I'm drawing a blank looking for Henry Maw in Barnsley 1901 back to 1881, but there are several Maw families there. James was bringing up a family in 1901 - his mother could be Elizabeth, poss widow of George born Boston in Lincs. Another family in 1901 is headed by Whiteley Maw - this only seems to be a common name around the Halifax area.

Ivy

Ivy Report 1 Dec 2007 07:49

Apologies, missed Henry Maw aged 34 in 1901, with boarder Arthur Maw aged 29 also born Retford. Henry is married to Jane, with children aged 12 down to 2 born in Sheffield and in Gainsboro'

Ref: Class: RG13; Piece: 4379; Folio: 128; Page: 26.

But: Ironmoulder in 1901 and living in Brightside Bierlow. Is this one to rule out, or might it fit?

Ivy

Ivy Report 1 Dec 2007 07:54

Free BMD has several birth registrations for Doris Maw from 1900 to 1905. The only Doris Millicent is registered in the Dec 1902 qtr, in Gainsbro'

(The other three are
Doris in Leeds, June 02;
Doris May in Derby, Jun 02; and
Doris in Sheffield, Mar 04)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Dec 2007 23:07

n for Margaret

Ivy

Ivy Report 5 Dec 2007 07:40

Hi Sylvia,

Margaret has pm'd me some more details. She has the direct line sorted, but wants to identify the cousins. Her line is:

Thomas and Ellen
Children
Elizabeth b 1842 bapt Haxey
William b 1844 bapt Haxey
George b 1848 Scotland, but bapt in Mar 1848 in Haxey
(poss the Thos in Haxey in 1841, born approx 1816??)

Elizabeth d 1860s shortly after giving birth to Whiteley Maw (b in Haxey, Lincs in 1864).

Whiteley married in 1884 in Wombwell, and is on the 1891 census (as Whitley) in Worsborough Dale with his wife and children and the family have moved to Barnsley by 1901.

Whiteley had a son Arthur J born abt 1886 in Ardsley (aged 15 on 1901 census) who is the father of Margaret's Doris.

The Doris Millicent Maw of the query here, father Henry, is likely to be the birth registered in Gainsborough in the Dec qtr of 1902. There is a couple living in the Gainsborough registration district in 1901 - Henry and Mary Eliz (Henry b abt 1875 in West Stockwith).

Margaret's main aim, though, is to find the families of George and William born in the 1840s. George emigrated to Canada and had several children around the Manitoba area. William born 1844 has not been traced.

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Dec 2007 21:09

Thanks for pasting the above info Ivy, the amount of times I've typed the full story in is unreal.

I know George Married about 4/5 times in Canada and have the names of his Children - it's the extended family from them that has dried up so for the time being I've left that alone and started with William again - like I said I wondered if there is a link whereby William the uncle, looked after Whiteley the nephew till Whiteley's marriage in 1884. Also it would open another branch if I could find Williams wife if he married and then trace his family too.

Thanks also to Sylvia for your offer of help aswell - you're both much appreciated.

Kind regards
Margaret Holmes (nee Maw)

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 01:58

Hi Margaret,

Sorry, hadn't seen any previous postings - I've now done a search for Maw and Haxey - and I see what you mean.

I'll have a read of these, but your 29 June 2005 posting has diverted me for the moment - I see that a John Whiteley of Haxey registered Whiteley Maw's birth (30 Sept 1863) . The 1861 Haxey census has 11 men in Lincolnshire named John Whiteley, but just one in Haxey, married, aged 46, farmer of 6 acres. His housekeeper is Ann Maw, aged 19, born in Belton.

I'll carry on reading.

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 02:27

I see that the records office thread that ended Jan 2006 had Orange Blossom finding Ann Maw's subsequent marriage to Henry Kelsey:

"Oh.. I found the Ann Maw living with John Whitely in 1871...

Marriages Mar 1867
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kelsey Henry Barnsley 9c 170
Maw Ann Barnsley 9c 170

Hannah Maw abt 1797 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Head Belton Yorkshire
Wm Maw abt 1823 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Son Belton Yorkshire
>> Ann Kelsey abt 1840 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Daughter Belton Yorkshire (Mar - Visitor)
Thomas Kelsey abt 1870 Doncaster, Yorkshire, England Grandson Belton Yorkshire
Jane Wigglesworth abt 1857 Staindrop, Yorkshire, England Granddaughter Belton Yorkshire

Henry Kelsey abt 1836 Crowle, Lincolnshire, England Head Doncaster Yorkshire (Mar - Saddler)

So, she can't be Elizabeth lol"

... and Paul Marshall had found the housekeeper Ann Maw in 1851:

"I think this is Ann Maw, the housekeeper, in 1851

Ann Maw abt 1840 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Daughter Belton Lincolnshire
Hannah Maw abt 1797 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Wife Belton Lincolnshire
John Maw abt 1790 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Head Belton Lincolnshire
John Maw abt 1826 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Son Belton Lincolnshire
William Maw abt 1824 Belton, Lincolnshire, England Son Belton Lincolnshire "

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 02:40

Paul had also traced John Whiteley forward in subsequent census returns - he stayed in Haxey, farmed up to 10 acres, farm called Coney Garth (which explains Whiteley Maw's 1891 place of birth entry).

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 02:43

Also, Paul had found a servant in 1881: John Maw b abt 1865 working in Thorne - it seemed possible that Whiteley may have used John as an alternate Christian name.

Looking for boys born in Haxey between 1861 and 1865 brought up John M Beth, aged 10, servant to a farming family surname Kelsey in Haxey in 1871, but on closer inspection, there are other families with the surname Beth, and the age should be 18 (there is a checkmark across the 8 which is why it was mistranscribed).

John W May aged 8 born in Haxey seems a good possibility as a mistranscription for John Whiteley Maw, but the family do appear to be May - John W is the grandson of Robert May born in Ireland.

There is a John Needham aged 7 boarding in Haxey in 1871 with Richard and Mary Coggan, with their sons Richard 12 and Joseph 9.

There is a John Mow living in Thorne in 1871 aged 7; listed as grandson, and living with Robert Boyers and his wife Ellen (aged 47 and 51). He is a horse marine born in Thorne; she was born in Norwich. (Edited: I see that Orange Blossom had looked at this family in more depth - Ellen/Eleanor was a Maw before she married Robert in Thorne in 1847; however, this Ellen's son William, according to the 1851 census, was born in Belton in 1839, and the 1841 census has her married to William Maw in Belton, so this is a different Ellen from the one married to Thomas in 1841 in Haxey)

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 02:48

Going back to the Records Office thread of Jan 2006, Paul had also seen that John Whiteley was married to Martha SaintPaul by 1871.

Their marriage was in Doncaster registration district in the Jun qtr of 1869.

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 03:42

Hi Margaret

Elizabeth's death was registered in the Gainsborough district in the Dec qtr of 1863. Who was the informant? (Apologies if you had already posted this, but I have not yet seen it)

Aha, now seen your posting in Jan 2006:

"Ann Elizabeth Maw from Belton was born Sept 1841
Elizabeth Maw (Whiteley's mum) was born April 1841 at Haxey
Therefore they can't be the same person.

BUT

I have a snippet of info that says Ann Elizabeth Maw was buried at St Nicholas Church in Haxey on 7th October 1863 aged 22years which is 3 days after my Elizabeth Maw died also aged 22 years, she died on 4th October 1863 at Haxey but there were 2 inquests held for her first Oct 6th and second adjourned to Oct 27th 1863, could they bury her before the inquests were finished?

Even though she died in October 1863 her death wasn't registered till 2nd November that year - that was a long time - how can they register her death almost a month after she was buried if in fact it was her that was buried in the 7th Oct.????"

Actually, I think this would stack up. If she died on 4 Oct they would not have wanted to delay burial beyond say three days (takes you to 7 Oct). Meanwhile, if there was an inquest, whilst today they might put the body in a freezer these days and carry on doing forensic tests/post mortem etc, there was not really scope to do that in 1863 - the inquest was presumably more a matter of gathering verbal evidence. Once the coroner had reached a conclusion on the cause of death, the death could then be registered.

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 04:47

Signing off for today. Will look at the other postings another day.

All the best

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 19:40

Hi Margaret,

I've finished reading the other threads with Haxey + Maw. It looks like there is another mystery here. Although the family of Thomas Maw and his wife Ellen (nee Harrison) are all baptised in Haxey (per IGI extracted records), George is born in Scotland. I wondered whether this was a mistranscription along the way on the 1851 E+W census (when we find George, William and Thomas together at Neale's Yard with Thomas' wife now shown as Lucy), but the details are confirmed by the Canadian records for George.

I see you have also found a death certificate for a Thomas Maw of abt the right age, informant Mgt Binks - and she too has a birth around 1848 in Falkirk, Scotland.

What was the link between rural Lincolnshire and Scotland?

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 19:55

Ok, goping back to your original question - you would like to trace Thomas, Ellen, George and William Maw forward.

You have the christenings in Haxey in the 1840s.
You have Thos and Ellen in Haxey in 1841
You have Thomas, Lucy, William and George in 1851
- and then they disappear.

George turns up in Manitoba, having married and raised a family in Argyll in Scotland.

There are five William Maw children born around 1844 in Linc - and they are all there again on the 1861 census apart from the one you want!

Do you think that you may find them on a Scottish census? (Apologies, I have no Scottish relatives, so I haven't a clue what info may be available). Would it be worth posting a query requesting a Scotland look-up?

(Wait a mo, I'll just find that Binks info again)

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Dec 2007 20:00

Courtesy of Kathleen, following a request to find Thomas Maw died 1865 aged 81, informant Margaret Binks:

"Is this him in 1861:-

Elizabeth Maw abt 1793 Leeds, Yorkshire, England Wife Haxey Lincolnshire
>>>Thomas Maw abt 1785 Graiselound, Lincolnshire, England Head Haxey Lincolnshire "

and also:

"This looks like the only Margaret Binks in the area:-

Charles Binks abt 1819 Haxey, Lincolnshire, England Head Haxey Lincolnshire
Harrison Binks abt 1850 Haxey, Lincolnshire, England Son Haxey Lincolnshire
>>>Margaret Binks abt 1830 Keapby, Lincolnshire, England Wife Haxey Lincolnshire
Sarah Binks abt 1848 Falkirk, Scotland Daughter Haxey Lincolnshire "

The IGI has a baptism of Thomas Maw to Thomas and Elizabeth in Haxey in 1816, and George reports in Canada that he is the son of Thomas Maw and Ellen (nee Harrison). Margaret does look like she might be related, since she has called her son Harrison.

Will check back later.

All the best