Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find a marriage please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

trinni

trinni Report 3 Dec 2007 22:01

I don't know if anyone has access to marriage registers for Wimbourne or Poole area of Dorset or Broad Chalk in Wiltshire.
I'm trying to find a marriage of Robert Bessant to Anne (surname unknown) I can't find anything but submitted entries on the IGI, and I stay well clear of them as a rule.

I think I've found their first child Mary Ann in the IGI born in March 1813 St James, Poole. The 41 census puts her at 25 which would be about right.
So I'm expecting a marriage about 1811/1812

According to the 51 census Anne is from Broad Chalk and Robert from Wimbourne (born abt 1790)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Dec 2007 22:13

Couldn't find the marriage on the BVRI discs either. Found the christening of Mary Ann, same one that you have:

BESSANT, Mary Ann Christening
Christening Date: 3 Mar 1813 Recorded in: Poole, Dorset, England
Collection: St James
Father: Robert BESSANT
Mother: Ann
Source: FHL Film 1239221 Dates: 1810 - 1830

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Dec 2007 22:17

A christening of Robert on BVRI but it's Broad Hinton. Anywhere near Wimbourne?

BESANT, Robert Christening
Christening Date: 8 Aug 1790 Recorded in: Broad Hinton, Wiltshire, England
Father: William BESANT
Mother: Ann
Source: FHL Film 1239308 Dates: 1767 - 1872

trinni

trinni Report 3 Dec 2007 22:21

I just switched off google earth. I'll take a look again!

trinni

trinni Report 3 Dec 2007 22:27

Broad Hinton is quite a way further north in Wiltshire whereas Broad Chalk and Wimbourne (Dorset)are very close although in different counties.

The IGI marriage that was submitted was Robert Bessant in Broad Hinton. My gut feeling says it was not mine but I suppose its best to keep options open.
Thank you so much for looking.