Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ireland BMD help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ceri

ceri Report 4 Dec 2007 20:50

Hi
I am trying to locate info on my grandfather who died before i was born! I would also like info on his parents. His name was Thomas Toner born 1920 in Ireland, Married Evelyn Wakeling, he died in 1968 in Thurrock

I have not come across having to look for people born Ireland before, could anyone give some advice or have a look for me please.
thanks
ceri

ceri

ceri Report 4 Dec 2007 21:01

my nan believes his fathers name was John and his mothers name Sarah (poss maiden name Callaghan) again both born Ireland, she thinks! Not much help i know
sorry

ceri

ceri Report 5 Dec 2007 15:33

Can anyone give me any advice at all with Ireland BMD records, i have ancestry but cant seem to find anyone on there Thomas Toner was definately born Ireland in 1920?
Thanks in advance
Ceri

ceri

ceri Report 5 Dec 2007 20:08

n

Janet

Janet Report 5 Dec 2007 20:37

Ian

You willl need to apply to the GRO Dublin/Roscommon for BMD post 1864 to present day. Google both to find out more. You usually have to pay for certs in Euros and you will need to know all the same details that you would have at your side if you were trying to obtain BMD in UK. Names of parents, for marriage and where born. Ireland is not good enough. You need at least the county and with so many of same names in areas you would be better off if you also knew the Townland.

Irish tracing can be quite complicated and many people have put up threads to help others in this area so if you key in Irish into the search box on the side you will get a lot of help.

I have done one thread on Irish Tracing on Tips Board and I will nudge up for you but others have also done other threads. The ones that have come online recently are the Parish records pre 1864. Teresa also has a thread about ordering up through LDS Family History centres but I do not know where that thread is at present.

Janet North London Borders

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Dec 2007 20:39

does it give his date of birth on his death certificate, if you have that then you have something to work on.

Most latter day saints family history centres have copies of the irish general indexes, if you contact your nearest one and enquire, if they dont have it there. I believe they can order it in for you.

Unfortunately there are very little records for Ireland on the www.

ceri

ceri Report 5 Dec 2007 20:50

Thanks Janet Unfortunately i dont think i am going to be able to break through this brick wall, as not having much luck.
ceri

ceri

ceri Report 5 Dec 2007 20:52

I will have to check his death cert again, as i gave it back to my nan, i believe it was April but definately 1920, the problem is i dont even now what part of ireland he was bornand do not know anything about ireland really!
not much help is it really, thanks anyway

Janet

Janet Report 5 Dec 2007 21:46

Ian

Jiust one other thought. If he was born 1920 then he may have fought in 2 W War as he would have been 19 in 1939. Many Irishmen joined the British Services, If he had joined up, his service record would tell you where he was born.

Janet North London Borders